Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Reward Chart

A couple months ago when Jack was having problems with getting in trouble all the time we started a 'potty chart'. The 'potty chart' consists of happy animals that get covered with sad potties if he did something to get in trouble. We have gone a couple of weeks without sad potties so I am getting greedy. I purchased a reward chart. The chart has six spaces for actions that earn stickers. The six categories are 'Eat Dinner', 'Follow Directions', 'Share', 'Use Good Manners', 'Pick Up Toys' and 'Take Nap'. Travis, Jack and I had a meeting at dinner to discuss what the rewards would be. If Jack gets 35 stickers in a week we will go to Six Flags, if he gets 28 stickers in a week he gets a Hot Wheels track and if he gets 21 stickers in a week we get to go out for ice cream. I thought that was good, but Travis had to go a step further and promise a Power Wheels car if he gets 42 stickers in a week. Okay, I realize that is unlikely and I know I can make sure he doesn't get 42 stickers in a week, but I don't know how I feel about Travis promising something that he knows he won't deliver. I guess we can cross that bridge when we get there. As for now Jack is trying like crazy to earn stickers. Every little thing he does he asks if he gets a sticker. I am sure he will start to get it as time goes on.

I had a MOPS steering meeting this morning while Jack was at school. Ben and Lauren go to 'school' (aka child care) while I am at the meeting. The childcare workers told me that Ben and Lauren play with the other kids, but they tend to prefer to play with each other. The other thing they mentioned wasn't news to me. They asked me if they were "kind of rough" with each other. I didn't mention that we call that WWF Baby Smack Down, but I did admit they were a little rough with each other sometimes. I figured that since they brought it up I would ask if they were mean to other kids too. I was relieved to find out that they are too busy beating the hell out of each other to bother other kids!

No comments: