Wednesday, April 11, 2007

The Key to Happiness

Everything you have ever wanted to know you can learn on Oprah. I was unfortunately busy doing mommy and housework for most of it, but I was able to catch the tale end. Some University did a study of 900 women and asked them to journal what they did on a day-to-day basis, and then rank how happy they felt. Sex and socializing ranked among the highest level of happiness. Towards the bottom was caring for children, which ranked only slightly above cleaning house. Who are these unhappy people? I am assuming they are referring to caring for your own children. Wow. I am very happy when I get to concentrate on caring for my children. I am unhappy when I attempt to multi-task and I don't feel like I am doing a good job taking care of my kids. I love playing with my kids and watching them learn. This is the best part of being a parent. Don't get me wrong; I enjoy sex and socializing as much as the next girl! Oprah had a guy who wrote a book on happiness on the show, Dr Holden says, "the key to happiness is not to have a job, but to have a purpose" That is very profound. I will say that I feel happier now that my purpose is to mold productive members of society. When I was selling, I was happy enough, but felt a little empty. I didn't have a purpose, besides to sell more mailing lists and put more money in Vin Gupta's pocket. I did enjoy the immediate gratification of a big fat commission check, but what was the point? The University of Illinois developed a happiness scale; I scored a 32 out of 35. Not bad, perhaps I have the Zoloft to thank, but I think it has more to do with my husband and children giving me purpose. Thanks guys!

1 comment:

RivahGal said...

If I had to keep a journal of anything, I'd hate whatever it was. :) I think that people, and Oprah especially is guilty of this, think too much. They psychologize too much. I can imagine my Grandmothers wondering how they felt about taking care of their familes? It was just something they did, did well, and that was life. Once people start analyzing every little thing, putting everything under the microscope and examining it and then comparing it to Alpha Mom down the street, they start feeling inadequate. They start reading self-helpless books and become convinced that they aren't doing a good job with their families and try one thing after another...becoming more and more depressed that this book or that book or that TV show hasn't solved their unhappiness. One can find joy in anything one does. There's a corny saying that I see in garden shops a lot, but it is good to keep in mind "Bloom where you're planted." Too many today want to bloom where someone else is planted.

I enjoy your blog, keep it up!

Julie
http://meanmomclub.blogspot.com/