Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Huh?

I took Jack to the ENT this morning. They put him into a sound proof room with a little window and put a headset on him. He was really cute waving at me through the window. The technician read him words at different volumes and frequencies and he was to repeat the word. He was watching the tech through the window and reading her lips. As soon as the tech covered her lips with her papers Jack just sat there not repeating anything. I couldn't believe it. Then they moved on to beeps. He was to say yes every time he heard a beep. This apparently got boring because he was saying yes when she wasn't making sound and she would have the volume cranked up and when she would ask if he forgot to say yes he would start laughing. My mom loves to tell the story of when I used to go to the eye doctor when I was young, I would tell the eye doctor the wrong thing on purpose. I guess what goes around comes around. Come to find out Jack hasn't been choosing not to listen to me. The poor kid has hearing loss. Luckily, it isn't permanent hearing loss. His right ear is full of fluid. The doctor said that if this were permanent hearing loss he would need to wear a hearing aid. His left ear is only half full of fluid. Out of his left ear he hears like someone who just got off an airplane. So she gave him an antibiotic because he basically has a permanent ear infection. Apparently, kids have different levels of pain tolerance and Jack's is higher than average. Tough little buddy! She also gave him a prescription for Singular to help with his allergies and a nasal spray to help with his bloody noses. His anodes are enlarged which is causing his snoring problem. We are going to try these three things and go back in 3 weeks. If the fluid isn't gone we will have to try something else and if that doesn't work we will have to put tubes in his ears. The doctor also listened to his chest and said he is wheezing and I need to take him to the pediatrician and have his cough checked out. I tried to call the pediatrician as soon as we got home, it took me 3 hours to get through, but we finally have an appointment for this afternoon. I am not sure where I need to go to pick up my mother of the year award, but I am sure I deserve it for not noticing any of this!

No comments: