Thursday, April 26, 2007

Word

I talked to Jack's teacher on Tuesday about his inability to write his name legibly and she suggested games with tweezers or chopsticks to strengthen the right muscles in his hands. Yesterday I bought him a new game 'Junkyard Jalopy’; it is a car version of the old game 'Operation'. Jack has decided that if the car only honks at him once he wins! One of the pieces that needed to be removed was a peanut, which spurred the following conversation:

Jack: Peanut rhymes with penis.
Me: No, it doesn't.
Jack: Yes, it does, listen, PEA - nut, PE - nis
Me: It doesn't rhyme; it starts with the same sound.
Jack: Yeah, that's what I meant.

Why are little boys so obsessed with that word? And, I am not talking about peanut! I guess I should have taught him some cutesy name, but then he would be telling me that weekend rhymes with wewe. I am not sure I am prepared for Lauren to tell me that vagina rhymes with anything...of course I can't think of anything that rhymes with vagina. That settles it; we are going with vagina, not something cutesy!

This morning I was telling Jack that I was going to leave for my trip with Ms. Trisha after I pick him up at school.

Jack: Where are you going?
Me: Santa Fe
Jack: Does SANTA Clause live in SANTA Fe?
Me: No
Jack: Where does Santa live?
Me: The North Pole
Jack: Who lives in Santa Fe?
Me: Ms. Trisha's dad
Jack: Who else?
Me: Lots of people
Jack: Do you know them?
Me: No
Jack: Then why are you going there?

Jack should be an attorney when he grows up. He just knows how to keep questioning me until I just don't know what to say. I can just picture him as I sit on the defendants stand turning to the jury and saying, "I have stumped her again, which proves she is not prepared to be my mother"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There is a city in Canada called Regina.