Sunday, April 1, 2007

All Aboard the Guilt Train

Last night I attended a Montessori fundraiser with a good friend. Her husband was out of town and although she knew tons of people there she didn't want to go 'alone', so I was her date. It was lots of fun to get dressed up. Especially, since the last time I got dressed up was for Travis' company Christmas party, which he decided at the last minute, he didn't want to go to! They had a silent auction, a Dutch auction and a live auction. Before they started the live auction a gentleman gave a little speech which ended with something along the lines of 'you model values to your children and you need to be able to go home tonight and tell them a story about what you got at the auction and how much you bid'. Choo, choo...all aboard the guilt train, next stop, auctionville! I couldn't believe it! But, the people must respond to that. During the live auction people were bidding a grand, that's right, one large, one thousand big ones on artwork done by their kids classroom. I wanted to go hand an invitation to the MOPS art auction to one particular gentleman who seemed to be getting off on being a "good model" for his kid. It was obvious who was doing all they could to just send their kid to the Montessori school and who had more money than sense! Needless to say, I didn't purchase any "art", nor did my friend, or anyone at my table! The auctioneer was very entertaining. It has been a long time since I have listened to a real auctioneer and I had forgotten how much fun it is!

Now, I need to start working on my speech for the MOPS art auction. What can I say to guilt people into buying art by known artists??

No comments: