Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Monkey See, Monkey Do

Last night after I sat the kids down to dinner (Trav was late again) Lauren looked at Jack and pointed her skinny little index finger at him and said "Eat!” This really bothered Jack because for once he was actually eating. He pointed his finger right back at her and declared "I am eating!” they went back and forth like this until Jack finally gave up and asked me "Why does Lauren keep saying that to me?" All I could think was I guess you get what you give. I am going to make a conscious effort to not do that anymore and I will definitely be pointing it out to Travis when he gets home! It reminds me of the stories my mom used to tell about dinner time when she was a child. I certainly don't want Jack to have memories like that!

After dinner I took the kids to the bathtub and redeemed myself. Ever since Jack was a baby I have sang to him after his bath. We now sing our favorite song together.

"You are my Jackson, my only Jackson, you make me happy when skies are blue, you'll never know Jack how much I love you please don't take my Jackson away"

I started inserting Ben and Lauren's names into the song when they were born. Last night, after 20 months of me singing to them, they started singing their songs with me. It wasn't nearly as clear as Jack sings, but it is times like this that make it all worthwhile.

I really need to keep these things in mind in my day-to-day life. These kids soak up everything, the good and the bad. I need to make every effort to have more good than bad!

1 comment:

Misty said...

that is very sweet... It is good to have those little precious moments, kept as snapshots in our mind. That way we can pull them out and stare intently at them while we muddle through the less glamorous days!