Wednesday, May 30, 2007

If Your Day Is Dull, Go To Wal-Mart

Just when I was beginning to think I didn't have any interesting or funny blog stories for today, I had to run to Wal-Mart to buy a couple of odds and ends. We parked right next to an ambulance and happened upon the EMS guys. Jack was standing there staring at him while I was loading the babies into the cart. Just as I got everyone out the driver asked if he could give the kids stickers and let Jack look in the truck. It was so nice of him! Jack was on cloud nine as we walked in. He and Lauren were wearing their stickers with pride as Ben chewed on his. As we strolled up and down the aisles Jack chattered about our good luck parking next to the ambulance. Then he saw a man in fatigues. "Look mom, a solider! Can I say hi to him?" As I was telling him yes the man turned and they shared a high five. I was so proud of Jack when he thanked the man for keeping us safe. I didn't really know that he had made that connection.

As we walked away Jack and I talked about how lucky we were to have gotten to talk to an "amb-lee-ance" driver and a solider in one day. I couldn't help but think that no trip to Wal-Mart is good so I was due for at least two bad incidents. Then, it happened. We passed a very hairy young Hispanic girl and Jack yells, "that's no fair, that little boy has a mustache and I don't!” Ouch! My only hope was that the little girl didn't speak English, because I know she heard him! This was particularly embarrassing to me because I was once that hairy little girl. Luckily, I discovered the joy of waxing and most recently laser hair removal! At this point, I was just waiting for the other shoe to drop, knowing I was in for one more "incident". As we continued on our shopping adventure I started smelling something foul coming from Ben's diaper. It seemed unfortunate, but I knew this wasn't the incident I was waiting for. Then, as I stood searching for Father's Day cards it happened. Jack spilled nearly the entire bag of marshmallows I had allowed him to snack on as we went through the store. I breathed a sigh of relief as I thought the two bad incidents weren't all bad and the good had certainly out weighed the bad. As I stood in the check out line behind the woman who was price matching every item she was buying to save two cents I started to get a little annoyed, but I was still feeling as though I was coming out even.

Then I got to the car...and all shit broke loose...literally! I picked up Ben and realized that the foul smell wasn't just coming from Ben's diaper, but from his shorts and running down his legs as well. I quickly unloaded one of the plastic grocery sacks and lined Ben's car seat with it, and then dug out my wipes stash and cleaned up the cart as best I could. I felt like I should have left a note on that cart so the next unsuspecting mother didn't put her baby in that soiled seat! But I couldn't find any paper and figured the Wal-Mart employees wouldn't care anyway. I only hope I am not struck down by bad cart karma next time I am shopping.

No comments: