Saturday, May 26, 2007

Rain, Rain Go Away...

It seems like it has been raining for 40 days and 40 nights in North Texas. Running errands have been hellacious. There is absolutely no hurrying in with three little kids. Worse yet, the kids haven't been able to play outside. Playing outside is the best way for the kids to burn off energy. Jack loves to pedal his tractor pulling Ben and Lauren behind in the wagon. We have been stuck inside and last night Jack was stir crazy. He asked for some grapes for a snack while we were waiting for our friends to arrive for dinner. I was so proud of Jack's choice of snacks. I put the grapes in a bowl and set him up at the table. I turned my head for just a second and there were grapes rolling all over the kitchen floor. I calmly asked Jack to pick them up and sit back down. He got off his chair, bent down and started smashing the grapes with his thumbs. I came unhinged! When Jack made the decision to make wine on my kitchen floor he wasn't taking into account that I am a little stir crazy too. After he got finished serving his time on the steps (my friend says my kids aren't going to want to live in two story houses when they grow up!) I heard Lauren crying. When I went to pick her up her face was all wet. I called Jack over to ask him why she was wet.
Me: Why is Lauren's face all wet?
Jack: If I tell you, I won't be in trouble?
Me: You will tell me and I will let you know if you are in trouble or not.
Jack: (lip quivering) I spit on her
Me: Are you kidding me? go sit on the steps!!
Jack got a sad potty over that one! He has a chart on the fridge with happy little animals for each day of the week. If he is naughty we put the picture of a potty with a tear. Jack didn't notice the sad potty until he was sitting at the breakfast table this morning.
Jack: Mom, could you come over here please?
Me: Sure, what do you need?
Jack: Can you please tell me what that sad potty is doing up there?
Me: Do you remember spitting on your sister yesterday?
Jack: Yes
Me: Do you remember smashing the grapes on the floor?
Jack: Yes
Me: Why did you act that way?
Jack: I was just tired, mom
Me: I guess we need to make sure you take a nap everyday!

No comments: