Thursday, May 24, 2007

Double Trouble

What is that woman thinking? This morning I had to silence all of the kids (I had Trisha's kids too, so I had a 5 year old, 4 year old, nearly 3 year old and 22 month old twins) in order to hear a story about the oldest American woman to give birth to twins. This crazy lady is 60 years old and her husband is 63. This couple has a 33-year-old son, 29-year-old daughter and a 6-year-old son. The twins that were just born are boys. I think that this couple has no idea what they are getting into. Nobody who has twins has any idea what they are getting into until they get home with their babies. I know how tired Travis and I were those first couple weeks and we had my parents here to help. If this couples parents are still alive, I can't imagine that they are a lot of help. I consider my mom to be is great shape at 56 years old and I don't think that she could be a full time mother of twins. My mom and my aunt watched the kids for us when we went to Puerto Rico last summer and they admitted to being very tired when they got home. They are not the kind of people who admit that kind of thing, so they had to have been really spent! Every night when I get the kids to bed I feel like plopping down on the couch and falling asleep. What is going to happen when this couple has 2 two-year-old boys and an 8 year old? When they finally get the toddlers to bed will they have the energy to help the 8 year old with his homework? When they are 76 and 79 will they have the nerve to teach two boys to drive? When they are 78 and 81 will they be willing to take money from their retirement to pay for three kids in college at once? They may answer yes to these questions now, but we will only know when the time comes. If they end up being everything their children deserve, more power to them. If not, they should be ashamed of themselves for being so selfish. I feel sorry for their grandchildren-to-be. Their adult children don't have kids yet, but when they do, they will miss out on having doting grandparents. They certainly won't spoil them the way my kids grandparents do if they have their own kids. People who are in their 60s should be looking forward to grandparenthood, not parenthood.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

oh my gosh I saw that on the news and it made me so mad. That is so selfish of them. It makes me sick.