Tuesday, May 29, 2007

It's A Great Day For A Race!

Actually, it wasn't a very good day for the Indy 500 last weekend, it rained again! Why do they have this huge race over Memorial Day? It seems like it rains every year. But, I digress...

My grandpa used to always say "It's a great day for a race...the human race!” I think about my family a lot this time of year, especially my grandpa and my dad. Memorial Day is one of their favorite holidays. Yes, my grandpa was a WWII veteran, but most importantly Memorial Day marks the beginning of summer and "The Lake" season. When I was growing up every weekend in the summer was spent at the lake, rain or shine. My sister and I made birdhouses, played games and colored when it rained. When it was sunny we caught toads, swam, played in the sand, played on the rope swing and fished. My best childhood memories revolve around the little yellow cabin in Cedar Creek. It is no longer a little yellow cabin and my grandpa is no longer around. My grandpa died the summer after my freshman year in college in August of 1994. The little yellow cabin was torn down and replaced with a larger trailer type home sometime around 2000. One thing hasn't changed, the memories and the closeness I feel toward my family when I am there. I miss my grandpa dearly, but I feel closer to him at the lake than anywhere else. We are heading to Nebraska next month and I can't wait to reconnect. My grandma, mom, dad and I will eat nachos and drink wine for lunch, a tradition that goes back at least 10 years! I will sit back and watch my kids enjoy all of the things that I did as a child I can't wait!

No comments: