Friday, May 25, 2007

By Golly, I Think I've Done It!

I have been trying to make a chocolate angel food cake from scratch for months. I typically try twice before I cave and get a store bought cake. I made one that worked before I had kids and it has been down hill ever since. Only two things have changed 1) I got a better mixer (I went from a Sunbeam to a Kitchenaid) and 2) we moved to a new house with a different oven and I haven't been able to make it work since. I even enlisted Travis' help last night and we still failed. I decided to give it one more try this morning because my friend Anne and her family are coming over for dinner. Anne is one of those people that prove her love by making extravagant meals from scratch. I always feel inadequate having them over for dinner, but the great company makes it all worthwhile! I made a pork loin for them once that Travis referred to as 'creepy' right at the table. Anne and her husband didn't say anything...but they didn't dispute Travis' analysis.

Anyway, I loaded the kids in the car this morning to go get more eggs. While I was at the store I got a store bought cake just incase! Travis thought the cake was undercooked last night, so today I increased the cook time from 30 to 40 minutes (the recipe calls for 25-30 minutes). The cake isn't pretty, but at least it is better than the ones that have come out to only be a couple of inches. I will reserve final judgment until we try the cake tonight. Worst-case scenario, Anne will know how much I love her by looking at my ugly cake!

2 comments:

Anne said...

you are making me insane. INSANE. I hope I prove my love for ya'll by being a good friend. Sheezus!

and the cake was AWESOME!

Anne said...

and ftr, your cake was not ugly.