Tuesday, October 9, 2007

More?

I took Ben and Lauren to the store to buy a baby gift. The clerk asked me if they were twins, how old they were, then she asked the question I dread. "Are they your only children?" It seems like a simple enough question, but I am left fighting for the words to answer the question. My heart silently answers "No, I have twin boys who are almost 6 and a 4-year-old boy". My stomach ties in knots as my lips answer "No, I have a 4-year-old boy who is in preschool today". I know a random stranger doesn't want to hear my sad story, but at the same time I feel like I am denying the twins by not acknowledging them. When Jack was really little and people asked if he was my first I would often say "No, I have twin boys" and drop it. My kids are now old enough to get confused by an answer like that. My heart is often heavy this time of year as I reflect on my attempts to preserve Nate and Spence's lives as I sat on bed rest. I can't believe it has already been 6 years; the pain is still so fresh. But, at the same time look at all we have accomplished in the 6 short years since!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

I can't imagine how tough that is. I'm sure you miss them and think of them constantly. I've never thought about that question being hard for people to answer either. I'll try to be more aware of that in the future.
Thanks for your prayers for FIL!

Mariel said...

Hi Kelli...just wanted to offer some (((HUGS))). I know how hard this loss can feel and there isn't much anyway can say that makes it all better.