Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Coming Of Age

How old does your son have to be before you let him go to the men's room alone? Jack is 4 1/2 and is noticing that I take him to the women's room when we are in public. He always asks why I make him "go in the girls even though he is a boy". For now he is somewhat satisfied with my "because I am a girl" answer, but I wonder if that is because he has to pee too bad to think. I don't think I have long before he protests. However, I think it is going to be a long time before I can confidently say that I am not worried about a pedophile lurking in the bathroom. How do I balance Jack's independence with my warranted fear?

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I had the same issue with my son. Some places have these new "family bathrooms" that are great! I still hate sending him to the bathroom by himself but at 12 years old, what can I do? Once he was about 7 I tried to make sure he could bring a friend along to places so at least they could go together. I also was very up front about bad people. I told him if he got scared for any reason to scream as loud as he could and I would come in and get him. I would always wait right by the door. Sometimes I even yell into the door, "hurry up".

suchsimplepleasures said...

i started letting my son use the boys restroom when he was around 4 1/2 or 5. i just stood outside the door and if it took too long and i was sure something was wrong...i'd break down the door and rescue my son...with my hands covering my eyes...just in case. actually, i'm exaggerating...i never had to cover my eyes!
anyway...let him try it. you'll be fine!!