Friday, October 12, 2007

Helicopter

I just signed the permission slip for Jack to go on his very first field trip. The preschool is taking all of the kids to the pumpkin patch. I happened to be at the pumpkin patch on the same day as his preschool (he was too young to go, they only take 4-year-olds) last year and it was a mad house. I couldn't see any system for keeping track of the kids; they were running amuck! They have asked for volunteers to chaperone, but they want people who can put more car seats in their car. I don't have any more room for car seats, so needless to say I am not their ideal volunteer. I really want to be there so I can keep an eye on my kid. He won't get in any trouble, I am just concerned that his curiosity will get the best of him and he will walk off without anyone noticing. I know I am being a helicopter parent, but I can't help myself. I told the teacher that I would be happy to chaperone, but I can't drive any additional kids. She kindly brushed me off and said she would let me know next week if they need anyone else. It does make me feel a little better that they are asking for 4 volunteers, not including the teachers. So, there will be 6 adults for the 12 kids in his class. If these adults only need to keep track of two kids they should be able to notice if one is missing, right?

2 comments:

Crystal D said...

Madeline went on her first field trip trip alone this week. I did go on her first one so I could see how it would all go down. That was a walking field trip. The one yesterday was a bus field trip. She survived and had a wonderful time.

Lisa said...

I'm surprised that they've put a cap on how many parents can attend. Goosey went to the Pumpkin Patch yesterday with her class & every child had a parent. Hubby was her chaperone & they had a great time. I don't think you're hovering at all. It would be different if he was in fourth grade or something, but he's only four!