Thursday, June 7, 2007

I'm A Bad Friend With Ugly Tan Lines

I had my first physical therapy session today. It was great! This is the first time I have left a physical therapy session excited about the prospect of getting better. This is a Pilates based physical therapy program, I will be working on strengthening my core as well as the weak muscle in my leg. I am going to be going 3 times a week; I have the annoying neighbor girl lined up to watch the kids. Maybe this will help her not want to be around unless I am paying her!

I have been bribing Jack with a visit to the beach club if he could be a good boy. He was really good yesterday so I told him we would go today after I got back from the physical therapist. When we arrived at the beach I took the babies' shoes off so they could walk across the sand. They started crying the moment I stood them in the sand. I picked them up figuring that they would be fine once we got settled into our beach chairs. We found a spot right by the kiddie area that has a little waterslide and water squirting up out of the ground for the kids to run through. The babies wouldn't even let me take my shirt off, they were clinging to me like little leaches. We sat down and Jack went to swim. Meanwhile they are crying their fool heads off. I finally got them settled down, but they refused to get off my lap. Every time the wind would blow we would get spray from the water feature and Ben and Lauren would start crying again. Unfortunately, we are in a wind advisory today, so we got sprayed with water quite frequently. The other mothers in the area were actually laughing at me. I couldn't help but comment on how fun the beach club is! The good news is that Jack had a great time. He was doing bobs, kicking and going down the slide. The entire hour and a half that we were at the beach the babies clung to me. So much for getting a tan, I wouldn't be surprised if I have little finger tan lines!

I left the beach feeling like mother of the year. I stuck it out at the beach for an hour and a half because Jack was having such a great time, even though the babies and I were miserable. I drove the kids through at McDonalds for lunch. As I was checking to make sure the order was correct it hit me. I was supposed to pick up McDonalds and take it over to a friend’s house for a playdate. I totally spaced it off. What makes it worse is that I spaced off a play date with the same friend on Monday. I immediately called her and told her how sorry I was. She cut me absolutely no slack! I probably didn't deserve any slack, but I truly didn't blow her off on purpose. She told me how hard it was to explain to her 4 year old that they weren't going to have a play date again today. I feel like shit. This friend has been having trouble with depression and sounded really down when I called. I suck.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

You're not a bad friend - you just have 3 kids....life's crazy! Your friend should understand!!!