Sunday, June 10, 2007

Mother Of The Year

I had to buy an emergency birthday present yesterday, for a party that was yesterday afternoon. I loaded up all three kids and we headed to Target. I had saved this trip for Saturday hoping that I wouldn't have to take the kids through the toy aisle and knowing that I also needed some yoga pants. I actually wanted to try the pants on at the store since Target's new return policy is so strict. But, Travis had to go shopping for a new mower, which is a whole different story. We started in the toy aisle hoping that we wouldn't have a big problem with the "I want", "can I have?”, "MINE!" if they were fresh. I was studying the airplanes as the boys stood in the basket of the cart and Lauren sat in the front. I heard a big thud, followed by a very loud scream. That's right, Ben fell out of the cart onto the concrete floor below. What do I do? The horrified onlookers were expecting me to scoop my child up and comfort him. But instead I utter, "oh, shit". I picked him up and continued to study the airplanes and he screamed in my ear. After finding the gift we moved on to yoga pants. I decided that Jack needed to walk so there was enough room for Ben to sit in the basket. In retrospect, I am not sure that was a good idea. I found a few pairs of pants in between the threats to Jack to stay by me and headed to the fitting room. I pushed the giant cart and all the kids into the florescent-lighted torture chamber that Target likes to call a fitting room. As soon as I got my pants off Jack decides to open the door. In my annoyed haste I slammed the door shut, only to catch Jack's fingers in it. He cried and cried and cried some more. Luckily for me, we had a whole new set of horrified onlookers. If we would have had the same group of people I may still be trying to talk CPS into allowing me to keep my children.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

You had me laughing out-loud with that story, Kelli! Is that the same story you told the dinner party ladies? What stiffs! Travis' old colleagues had much cooler wives!!!