Sunday, June 3, 2007

Done

We turned Drew back over to his parents at lunchtime today. I am going to miss that little dude. I have learned that we are officially done having children. I enjoyed having Drew; it was great to have a baby around again. But, I don't think that my kids would like to have another sibling. Ben started pouting yesterday because he hadn't gotten his quotient of cuddles this weekend. We took all four kids to a friend's house for her birthday party last night. One of Ben's biggest fans was at the party so Ben parked it in his lap and snuggled in for most of the evening. Ben wasn't his happy smiling self until we came home from lunch. I am not sure how he knew that Drew was gone, but it really seemed like he knew everything was back to normal when we got back.

At breakfast, Travis was playing with Drew and Lauren looked across the table and shouted "NO, Lauren's daddy!"

Jack was an enormous help with feeding Drew and holding his hands while I changed him. He was really proud to be the big cousin and I think he felt good knowing that he was needed. But, this morning when I asked him to feed Drew so I could change Ben and Lauren's diapers he told me that he was getting a little tired of always feeding the baby. This leads me to believe that he wouldn't be the huge help all the time if we had another one.

I did learn that I could do it, but I don't think my household would be as happy. I missed my own kids. I was just spread a little too thin, everyone had all of their basic needs taken care of, but it seemed like all four of the kids were feeling a little shorted. I wonder if people with really big families know each of their kids individually. I guess we will just need to get our baby fix by taking care of Drew every now and then. I do hope that it was as good for Nicole and Trey as it was for me because I would like to take him every couple of months. I certainly got to know him a lot better when I had him to myself rather than just getting together with Nicole for a playdate.

No comments: