Thursday, June 28, 2007

I Am Extraordinary Because I Am Ordinary

I ran into my neighbor today as I was unloading the kids and the groceries after a hellacious trip to Walmart. I say that as though there are trips to Walmart are not hellacious, but who am I kidding? They are all hellacious. She is one of the nicest women I know. As the rain was soaking me because I didn't pull my car far enough into the garage she came over to chat about our trip to Nebraska. I continued to usher the kids inside and unload the groceries as we talked, then out of the blue she said, "you know, you really are extraordinary!” I am a confident person, but I am not good at taking compliments and said, "No, I am ordinary". My neighbor looked shocked to hear me say that as she went on about how I over came MS and the loss of Nate and Spence to have a great family. She was right about one thing; I do have a great family. I am so lucky. I often wonder how my life would have been different if Travis and I wouldn't have had the obstacles we had. I know we have a stronger marriage for it. We have watched friends divorce over things much less than what we have made it through. If I am extraordinary for any reason, it is because I am ordinary! I think the most challenging and most rewarding thing I have ever done is being a stay-at-home mom and wife. I will admit, it has its dull moments, but those are few and far between with 3 kids under 5!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I agree that choosing to stay with your kiddos is the most rewarding AND trying job...but I wouldn't trade it for the world either!

You have been through a lot, Kelli. Congrats on taking lemons and making lemonade....you're extraordinary!