Friday, June 29, 2007

Bald Is Beautiful

We had two other couples to dinner last night. Between us there are 4 girls and 4 boys, luckily Ben and Lauren went to bed at 7:30 and one of the other girls is an infant. While the adults played Cranium the older 5 ran amuck upstairs. We heard a little commotion in the bathroom, but thought nothing of it since all of the kids are potty trained or training. We were foolish to assume that they were simply going potty and washing their hands. When we finally checked on them we found bubble bath poured all over the sink and tub as well as down the front of the vanity. However, the most disturbing discovery was the hair all over the floor. A couple of days before I had given Ben a quick trim in the bathroom and carelessly tossed the scissors under the sink for safe keeping (so I thought). With a clump of hair in my hand I went searching for the victim. It was Jack. The missing clump of hair fit perfectly into a silver dollar sized patch on the top of his head. It was to the scalp. After Jack was interrogated by his father we discovered that not only was Jack the victim, but he was also the victimizer. That's right, he cut his own hair! After our friends left, the trimmers came out. Travis gave Jack a buzz cut with a #2 (1/4 inch). When we came in Jack wanted to look at himself so I took him into the bathroom. He climbed up on the stool and when he caught the first glimpse of himself his lower lip started to quiver. When I asked him what was wrong he cried and said, "I don't like the way I look". It broke my heart. As angry as I was at him for playing with the scissors I couldn't help but feel sorry for him. It took me back to looking in the mirror in junior high and thinking the same thing. I have to admit, the poor kid looks a lot like a cancer patient! As I was tucking him into bed Jack asked me if his hair would be back in the morning. The crying started all over as I explained that it would take several weeks to grow back. When I woke him up for rocket school this morning the first thing out of his mouth was, "I don't want my teach to ask about my hair". I haven't told him that his hair looks good, but I have told him he is a good-looking boy and he has a great personality. I am going to have to do some more self-esteem building this afternoon when I pick him up from school. The thought of him sitting in rocket school not feeling good about himself is just killing me!

No comments: