Saturday, June 2, 2007

Bennis The Menace

Jack and Lauren are having the best time with their cousin Drew! Ben and Lauren were the first to get up this morning and Lauren and I actually carried on our first conversation.

Lauren: Where's baby Drew?
Me: He's sleeping.
Lauren: Why?
Me: He's tired
Lauren: Why?
Me: Because he played hard with you yesterday
Lauren: Why?
Me: Because he enjoys your company
Lauren: Why?
Me: I'm not sure
Lauren: Where's Jack?
Me: Sleeping
Lauren: Why?
Me: Why do you keep asking me why?

This morning Lauren held the bottle while I held baby Drew. Jack was highly pissed off when he saw this happening.

Jack: I am the big cousin that is my job!
Me: Well, you were upstairs, so Lauren had to do it
Jack: Did she feed him his fruit?
Me: No, he doesn't eat his fruit until later this morning
Jack: I get to feed him his fruit and his bottle next time since Lauren has already had a turn!

I asked Jack to sit with Drew while I was doing the laundry this morning and Drew was not happy that I had set him down. Jack was hollering from the family room "mom, he wants two people to sit with him!" I wasn't in the laundry room two minutes when Lauren came in announcing "Drew crying" and pointing like a mad woman. I am not deaf, I am fully aware that he was crying, but the laundry doesn't wait. Jack and Lauren are such good big cousins.

Ben on the other hand has no love for baby Drew. Ben sneaks away at every opportunity when I get busy with the other kids. I found him in the pantry in the dark shoveling cookies into his mouth. Another time I found him rooting around in my office. He doesn't show any interest until out of the blue he comes over to bop him on the head with his sippy cup or pull his toes. I guess Ben is feeling a little threatened that his position as youngest boy is being taken!

No comments: