Sunday, July 1, 2007

Surprise!

My sister told her mother-in-law how she wished that she could reciprocate after we took Drew for the weekend, but she was afraid to bite off more than she could chew. Her fabulous mother-in-law offered to help her take our kids! When I first met her I thought she was too good to be true. Now that I have gotten to know her better, I have discovered that she is actually as sweet as she appears to be! She spoke to my MOPS group a year or so ago about how to put the 'sizzle' back into your marriage. She said she is going to include our weekend in her talk.

As soon as Nicole and Debby offered to take the kids I started hatching an anniversary surprise for Travis. The plan was to surprise Travis in the parking lot of his office Friday afternoon. I figured if we started right at 5pm we would make it to our destination by 10pm. Unfortunately Travis had to lay off one of his employees on Friday afternoon, so the senior managers needed to have a late meeting. Travis told me that the meeting would go until about 6:30, so Nicole drove me to his office around 6:15. When we got to the plant, Travis' car was nowhere to be found. I called Travis to make sure he was still in his meeting, fearful that we had missed him. He told me that they were still meeting and would be home soon. We circled the parking lot more times than I can count before I caved and enlisted the help of our babysitter's dad, who also happens to be Travis' boss' boss. He called Travis boss and found out that the meeting was being held at a nearby restaurant. Nicole and I hurried to the restaurant and found Travis' car. I sat in his car and waited and waited. I called Travis again at 7:30 hoping my call would help wrap up the meeting, but alas, it did not. Finally a little after 8pm Travis and his boss emerged from the restaurant. Travis was shocked to see me waiting for him in his car! Come to find out, Travis' boss was trying to stall him thinking that I would be coming into the restaurant. The good news is that Travis had a great talk with his boss about his future at the company; the bad news was that we didn't start our 5-hour drive to Fredericksburg until after 8pm!

We arrived at our bed and breakfast about 1:30 in the morning. It was right on Main Street in a building built in the 1800s and renovated in the last 5 years or so. It was like a little apartment with a full kitchen, sitting room, bathroom and bedroom. The king size bed had the softest sheets I have ever slept on, it made sleeping in all the more pleasant! Saturday we had a late breakfast, explored the shops downtown, and then went to a few wineries. Sunday we took a convertible ride through the hill country and checked out Enchanted Rock before heading home. We had a very relaxing weekend ALONE and best of all Travis was actually surprised. He is one of those people who shakes all of his Christmas presents and knows everything he is getting before he opens it. I think this is the first time in 10 years that I have actually pulled off a surprise for him!

No comments: