Friday, July 20, 2007

To Invite Or Not To Invite


I finished Ben and Lauren's birthday invitation last night. I think it turned out pretty cute! They are having a Dora and Diego party, so the invite is Map. I have finished the easy part, now I have the hard part of deciding who is invited. Ben and Lauren don't really have their own friends yet, so it is still just a BBQ with our friends. I started out thinking that I would just invite our friends that have kids Ben and Lauren's age. But, then I realized that the two givens (Anne & Trisha) don't have kids their age, so I started over. Then I decided I would only invite our friends that I have seen in the last month. That only lasted until I told Travis and he mentioned a couple that we have to invite because "you can never have too many friends". Then I started thinking that I would only invite people with kids. That lasted until our next-door neighbor mentioned what she had gotten for Ben and Lauren for their birthday, so I guess I need to invite them. I would just invite everyone, but then I am afraid that people will get the invite and wonder why I am inviting them and assume it is just for the gift. For the record, my kids don't need any more toys! I mentioned this to my sister and she told me that if she is invited to the first birthday and not the second then she wonders why she didn't make the cut. Oh, what a twisted web! I tried to talk to Travis about it last night and I could see his eyes glazing over as I went over my thought process. I need to decide quickly, the party is only two weeks away.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

We just got an invite to a party where they requested you bring a new baby item in leau of a gift...I thought that was a great idea seeing that our toyroom is ready to burst at the seams. I'm going to do that next year!!!
Speaking of birthdays, my baby is 1 today! How time flies!
Cute invite by the way!

BlondeMomBlog (Jamie) said...

The invites turned out so cute! My girls LOVE Dora (and Diego.)

Well, for my oldest I have always invited just family and our next door neighbors and their daughter (they are best buddies.) But since she turned 5 this summer and it's her last summer at daycare I invited her ENTIRE class. I was terrified everyone would show, which sounds horrible, but we had a smaller crowd since so many people were on vacation that week. We held it at a local pizza place that has kids' games, etc.

Good luck! One thing I've read is to invite the same number of children as your child's age.