Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Ticking Time Bomb In Dora Panties

I let Lauren pick out some new panties yesterday. This is a technique I used on Jack when he was two. The conversation went a little something like this:

Me: Do you like these Thomas underpants?
Jack: Yes!
Me: Big boys who go pee pee in the potty get to have them. Would you like me to buy them for you?
Jack: Put them back!

So, I put them back and 6 months later he announced he was ready to go potty in the toilet and we never looked back. It worked so well for me with Jack I thought I would try it on Lauren.

Me: (standing in the toddler panty aisle) Do you like any of these panties?
Lauren: I want Dora!
Me: I will buy them for you if you are ready to go pee pee in the potty.
Lauren: Buy them, buy them!

When we got home she immediately wanted to put on the Dora panties. We spent a couple hours with me asking her every 20 minutes or so if she had to go potty. Every time I asked she adamantly told me no. I even made her sit on the potty and 'try' a few times. After she had two cups of milk I knew the pee pee was eminent. I made her ‘try’ again, but she held off until she got off the potty and was standing in my kitchen before she let go. I played it cool, I didn't want to freak her out and ruin any potential progress we had made. I figured after the incident we would be done potty training for a month or so. But, this morning she insisted on wearing the Dora panties again (I bought her a 3 pack, she wasn't wearing the dirty panties from yesterday). We had pictures this morning and I wasn't about to let her pee in her picture pants so I put her in a diaper and allowed her to wear the Dora panties over the diaper. When she woke up from her nap she realized she was wearing a diaper under her panties and wanted to remove the diaper. I foolishly complied. She wants to wear the panties without a diaper, but she doesn't give a shit (literally) about going in the potty. Again I spent a lot of time asking her if she needed to go potty and having her 'try'. She was a ticking time bomb in Dora panties. I got to clean poo out of her Dora panties this time. It took all I had to not just throw the panties in the trash. I don't care what she wants to do tomorrow. She will not be wearing the Dora panties without a pull up underneath!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Lauren reminds me so much of Julia...a woman with a mind of her own! I know with Julia potty training had to be done her way - not our way! Good luck to you!