Friday, January 18, 2008

In The Beginning...

So I am finally catching up on my blog reading, just a short break from my cape sweat shop. I read Such Simple Pleasures engagement story and I have decided to be a topper...

Once upon a time in a land far, far away called Nebraska there was a young college girl dating a young college boy. We were 19 years old. We had talked about getting married some day. Travis took me to the jewelry store because "he wanted to know what I liked for when he bought a ring 'someday'". As we looked at what our 19-year-old budget would afford us (pictured in a previous post here)...

Travis: Do you like that one?
Me: Yes.
Travis: Do you want it?
Me: Sure.
Travis: We'll take it.

What? Was that the proposal? Very few words were exchanged on the way home from the store. What had we just done? Were we engaged? I didn't know and I don't think he did either. As the days passed and we knew the ring would be in soon Travis went to my dad's office and asked for my hand. I told Travis that he would have to ask me to marry him. So, after picking up the ring we drove to my parent’s house to share the news with my mom. On the way Travis remembered that he had to ask me and stopped at the little park not far from my parent's house. I couldn't help but think of the time my sister peed into her pants at that very same park years before. We were on a bike ride at the park when my sister announced that she had to go to the bathroom. The two blocks home seemed way too far so I convinced her to squat. She pulled her purple sweat pants (yes, I remember it like it was yesterday) and arced a stream of pee right into her pants. Did she stop? Oh no, she kept going; apparently she hadn't perfected her Kiegels at this point in her life. She pulled up her pants and cried all the way home! But, I digress...a lot! So, we walked to a little bridge, Travis got down on one knee and asked me to marry him as two little boys who were riding their bikes watched on. Travis slipped the ring on my finger and on we went to show my mom. My dad had obviously done a good job keeping the secret because when we showed my mom she started crying. They weren't all tears of joy either. Remember, we were 19, through her tears she mustered "When? When?". She pulled it together when she realized that we weren't planning to marry until we graduated from college. Our parents had told us that they wouldn't pay for school if we were married and we believed them. Now that I am a parent I tend to think they would have continued to pay, but that is water under the bridge!

Yes, I realize it wasn't romantic. I sometimes wish I had a great story to tell, something that involved skydiving or tens of thousands of people or Oprah, but it didn't. All I know is that I wouldn't trade the life I have for a fabulous proposal. I love my husband, I love my kids and I love my life!

5 comments:

Crystal D said...

I love your story. I think it is 100x more beautiful than any Oprah moment. It is real, and young, and just full of honest love, and look where it got you. Just perfect.

Lisa said...

That's a great story. How wonderful is it that you were that in love at 19? I think it's neat to fall in love early & get to grow up & experience everything together.
I can so see Travis in that jewelry shop saying "we'll take it". Too funny!

Anonymous said...

Does your sister read yourblog?? I'm sure she will be happy for everyone to know the park story.

Kelli said...

Yes, my sister reads my blog. I don't think this post will upset her anymore than it did when I told it at her rehersal dinner!

Mamarazzi said...

oh i love that story. i was also VERY touched by the post you linked to. my heart is full, thank you!