Wednesday, January 23, 2008

MaGyver Lessons

As many of you know we have the doorknob on Ben and Lauren's bedroom turned around so that we can lock them in their room at night. It is mostly a safety issue; I fear that the destruction duo could do some massive damage at night while we sleep. It is of course nice that they can't get out of their room when they wake up early in the morning, but that is more of a perk than the purpose.

During our play date this morning the moms were sitting on the floor of Ben and Lauren's room while the kids played. We thought nothing of it when one of the kids shut the door. We didn't notice that the door was locked until one of the mothers went to change their child's diaper. We were all locked in their room. Did anyone bring her cell phone upstairs? Nope. Did I bring the cordless phone into the room like I often do? Nope. Do we have one of those little keys above the door? Negative. Is there a screwdriver in the room? Of course not! How do we get out? Is there a wire hanger in the closet? Just white plastic. Are the nails used for hanging the pictures long enough to stick into the lock? No such luck. What would MaGyver do? I should try to sell WWMD bracelets! Can we climb out the window? Too high. Are there any neighbors outside we could yell to? Too cold to be outside. What will happen when I am not at school on time to pick Jack up? Will they send someone to the house to save us? No, they will probably just try to call. Are their any toys we could fashion into a key? Not that we could see. We were trapped like rats!

Finally we located a plastic coated wire hanger. It wouldn't fit into the hole so I did what my mother told me never to do I used my teeth. I chewed the plastic off and worked on trying to pop the lock open. We took turns trying our luck with no success. Then we found an old health insurance card that the kids were playing with, we tried to slip it in the crack of the door like the criminals do on TV. It didn't work, so we went back to the hanger. After several more minutes working on the lock the room was filled with the scent of fresh baby shit. Was it getting hot, or was it just our imagination? I decided that our only option was to break the doorknob and explain the damage to Travis later. I grabbed the doorknob and turned HARD. The door opened but the doorknob didn't break. Who knew?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, come on!! Really, you must make this stuff up!! lol Stuff like this doesn't happen to normal people...it's only on TV!! I was entertained, though!!! ;)

Glad you all got out in one piece!!

Crystal D said...

Bahahaha! I can just imagine this scene. I needed this laugh, thank you so much for sharing.

Kelli said...

Karen, I am glad you were entertained by my misfortune. I am not that creative, I couldn't possibly have made this up, I guess I am just not normal!

Lisa said...

That is just too funny! Think of all the good laughs this will bring when you look back on it!!