Friday, January 11, 2008

Birthday Dilemma

Although Jack's birthday isn't for another 8 weeks I am already stressing out about one thing. I need ya'll to weigh in on this one! Jack wants to have a super hero theme, so I have jumped in with both feet! All of his friends will be invited to come dressed as their favorite super hero, we will have a bounce house in the backyard and I will be collaborating with my girlfriends on a superhero cake. I don't want his friends to purchase costumes just to wear to the party so I figured I would make a few Superman, Super girl and Batman capes that kids without costumes could wear. Then I found the cutest thing online, check this cape out! I showed it to Jack and he had the great idea for me to make one for each of his friends to take home. Good idea Jack! I always struggle with the party favors, I hate giving junk, but I also hate spending a lot of money! I need to get started if I am going to make twenty some capes so I started working on the invite list with Jack. There are 12 kids in his class, he gave me the names of all but two of them to invite. I asked who else was in his class and he couldn't even come up with the remaining kids names. I asked him if he wanted to invite his whole class and he said no. Unfortunately, Jack is the first to turn five in his class so I can't just follow what the other kids have done. I have two concerns with this 1) I don't want the two that were not invited to feel left out, they are only five, they have years and years of feeling left out ahead of them, why start now? You know the kids in class will be talking about the party of the century the following day at school. Nobody likes to be the person who wasn't invited! 2) But, on the other hand, Jack couldn't even come up with these kids’ names. I don't want to force him to invite these kids and have their parents think he is just asking for a gift. Because let's face it, Jack has plenty of cheap plastic shit! I have heard that if you mail the invites rather than handing them out at school you don't need to invite the whole class. This makes sense to me, but it doesn't solve the problem of the kids talking. What do you think?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Look! Here's a relative responding! If Jack plans to invite 10 of the kids in his class, he needs to invite all 12. Don't leave 2 kids out. Send the invitations in the mail and if the 2 kids don't know Jack either, his parents will just decline. (or ignore the invite!) Don't leave 2 kids out! (This is from an OLD parent with LOTS of experience!)

Anonymous said...

Yep, definitely invite them. I know even as a parent I would feel sad if my kid was one of only two not invited to the party. Maybe the kids are shy and need just such a thing as a party to make them more a part of the class!!

Lisa said...

Invite them. If the kids don't know Jack's name either, their mom probably won't have them come. Also, if you're afraid of the mounds of plastic crap, ask for a donation to the local animal shelter, a pack of diapers for the battered womans shelter, or something like that. One of my good friends did that recently, and the people that were really close to her little guy still brought him gifts, but the ones he didn't know as well brought donations - everyone was a winner :) I love the capes too! Very cute idea. I'm sure it will be a rockin' party. Jack's first birthday is the party that set the bar for all birthday parties in my mind :)

suchsimplepleasures said...

you have to invite them, unfortunately. i've run into this problem...a few times. i have a step-son...he is the one always left out. it's horrible.
but, yeah...you have to invite them, sorry jack!!!

Mamarazzi said...

gotta invite the whole class. it's just the way things are. you don't want Jack to be the one kid in the class that did not get the invite, even at 5 he should get the reasoning there.

oh and my sister made that SAME cape for my nephew as a Christmas gift and it is ADORABLE and she said it was REALLY easy. i am wondering if she found it on the same website. it looks identical.

Anonymous said...

I carpool with a friend to kindergarten and my friend's daughter received an invite to a party and my daughter didn't. Since they're in the same car and the kid passed the invite out right after school, my daughter was devastated! If she had just sent them in the mail, it would have been totally fine (truth be told, my friend didn't go b/c she was horrified by how tacky they were about invites...hehe, oh the politics of kindergarten!)

Send them in the mail or invite the kids anyway.

I hope the capes turn out well for you! Little boys do love their superhero dress-up:)