Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Poor Baby

Like I said yesterday, Lauren is sick again. I decided to be Dr. Mom and type her symptoms into google. Fever. Leg Pain. Stomachache. Answer: Leukemia. Note to self: Never attempt to be Dr. Mom again. So, I called the doctor and explained the symptoms and the nurse told me to come in at 9am, mind you it was already 8:30.

Breakfast for the kids: Check!
Breakfast for mom: Negative.
Caffeine for mom: Negative.
Zoloft for mom: Negative.
Coat and hat times three: Check! Check! Check!
Coat for mom: Negative.

We arrived at the doctor just in time.

Strep test: Check.
Result: Negative.
Flu test: Check.
Result: Negative.
Catheter for urine test: Check.
Result: Negative.

As if that wasn't enough we were then sent to the hospital for blood work and a chest X-ray. Needless to say Lauren was already pretty pissed off by the time we got there. The boys were bored, hungry and bouncing off the walls. I could feel my blood beginning to boil as we waited and waited. Finally they called us so Lauren could get pricked, as we rounded the corner I noticed that the gaseous cranky old nurse would be drawing Lauren's blood. I know she could never forget the train wreck I affectionately call my family, but thank goodness she didn't mention our previously meeting. After the blood work we were shuttled off to radiology. When the tech saw that I had Ben and Jack with me she broke the news that she would have to take Lauren into X-ray by herself. I could hear Lauren crying all the way down the hall. Poor baby. When they brought her back to me she stopped crying, but she continued with the deep sobbing breathing for several minutes. I attempted to win my children back by taking them to McDonalds. The boys were easy, but Lauren refused to eat any of her nuggets and even threw her Strawberry Shortcake prize on the floor!

Now, we just wait. The Doctor said "The blood test is to check for the 'C' word" and the chest X-ray was to make sure her lungs are clear. We should have the results of the X-ray in a couple hours, but we have to wait until next week for the results of the blood test. I am trying not to freak out. My logical side knows there is a cure for many childhood cancers now, but I can't help to think of my dad's brother who died from Leukemia when he was 2-years-old. Please pray for my baby.

5 comments:

Crystal D said...

Prayers have been said. Here's hoping it's just the flu and some growing pains. Poor baby and poor worrying momma. I hope you both feel better soon.

suchsimplepleasures said...

it will be ok! hey...i have a cousin...now 16, when she was 18 mos, she was diagnosed with leukemia. she had a bone marrow transplant...she's a ok...been in remission for many years now and the doctors expect her to live until a ripe old age! so, if your worse case scenario comes true...then, may my families worse case scenario happen...and she'll be just fine.
my thoughts are with you!
xoxo

Crystal D said...

Hey Kelli, I just wanted to let you know that I am still thinking about you. I can't imagine how worried you must be. I reread your post and saw that the flu test was negative. Maybe just a bad virus? Poor thing. Anyway, keep us posted tomorrow on how she is feeling.

Lisa said...

Kelli,
That's just horrible. I am praying for Lauren right now & will continue to do so. Please, please post an update when you get one!
Hang in there!
Lisa

Unknown said...

Oh I am praying--I know how scary it is when your child is sick and you don't know what is wrong.