Saturday, August 16, 2008

Tax Me!

Nebraska doesn't have a tax-free weekend before school starts. Yes, I have lived in TX for almost 4 years. But, I have never experienced tax-free weekend. I have heard it advertised on TV and the radio, but I have never felt the urge to experience it. Jack's school supplies are due on Monday and I hadn't finished my shopping. I made the biggest mistake of my life. I was given the opportunity to buy Jack's school supplies from the school for $40. Did I buy them? No. I figured I could buy them myself for cheaper. Well, if I could get them all at one store it may have been a better deal. But my first trip was to Walmart and if you don't know how that turned out you can go back to that post. Needless to say I didn't get my shopping done. I went to Target last week, but forgot my list. I got frustrated trying to find the list for Jack's school in the giant mess of papers they had and left. Which brings me to yesterday, the first day of the tax-free weekend. I figured that if I went during the day it shouldn't be so bad. After all, everyone is working, right? Wrong! Now, I am not opposed to crowds to save a buck. I am an avid Black Friday shopper. But this was unlike anything I have ever seen before just to save 8%! And, to make matters worse, they were still charging tax on school supplies. I thought the tax-free weekend was to get ready to go back to school? I don't get it. Black Friday I am saving 50% or more, or I don't buy it! And, on Black Friday my kids are tucked safely in their beds sleeping off their Thanksgiving dessert. Yesterday, they were with me. I should have had Ben pull the fire alarm and see if we could clear some of the fools out of the school supply aisle! I wasn't able to finish Jack's list at Target, so we had to go to yet another store. We went to Staples where I was expecting someone to hand me an easy button and we would be on our way. Instead I was greeted with another mass of fools all paying too much for their school supplies too! Tax-free weekend was more taxing than any other shopping trip I have had, and I have had some craptastic trips! By the end of my trip I would have gladly paid the sales tax for the entire state just to avoid the madness! Never again. NEVER AGAIN!

2 comments:

Mamarazzi said...

yikes! no fun at all!

Jaina said...

I've never heard of a tax-free weekend, but it sounds simply exhausting. I hope you get all the supplies you need without too much trouble!