Monday, August 25, 2008

Big Man On Campus

Last night I read Jack 'Twas The Night Before Kindergarten', when we got to the part where the parents were crying he turned to me and said:

Jack: Are you going to cry when you drop me off tomorrow?
Me: I am going to try not to!
Jack: Why would you cry?
Me: Because you are growing up so fast and I am so proud of you!
Jack: Well, I hope you don't!
Me: Why don't you want me to cry?
Jack: Because that would be embarrassing!

Jack wanted to walk the little over a mile to school this morning. As I pushed Ben and Lauren in the stroller he lagged behind me all the way down our street.

Me: You need to keep up buddy!
Jack: I am keeping up.
Me: Do you want to go back and get the car?
Jack: No, I want to walk!

It wasn't until we got to the crosswalk and school was closer than our house that Jack said he didn't want to walk anymore. We are going to try it again tomorrow. Let's hope the walk gets easier!



When we got to school, Jack showed Ben, Lauren and I to his classroom. He was so excited he was several steps ahead of us the whole time. We did hit a snag when he tried to fit his new backpack into his cubby. He HAD to have the giant camouflage wheelie backpack. It is too tall and too wide for the cubby and he can't smash it down because of the wheels. The only way we could get it in was to turn it sideways. Here's hoping the little boy he shares a cubby with has a small backpack!



After he got all of his things put in his cubby I bent down and quietly asked "Would it be uncool if I give you a big hug and kiss?” Jack gave me a quick hug and whispered "How about a hug and a fist bump?” With a fist bump I was out of the room without a tear. I got a little misty as I walked to the cafeteria for my first PTA meeting, but Jack will never know!

Jack has been talking my ear off about his first day. The highlight? Buying his lunch. He gave me the blow by blow, "first you grab a tray and you push it along a shelf, then you pick out what you want to eat, then you open little drawers to see if you want to eat anything else, then you get to the computer where you tell them your name...” I am so proud of him, what a big boy!

4 comments:

Mamarazzi said...

such a great post!!

sounds like Jack is off to a great start!!

Anonymous said...

What a bit boy. Hallie, too, saw lunch as the big deal. They are both too little for school!

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I can't type that was BIG boy!

Crystal D said...

Oh I love the play by play of lunch. Isn't is just so funny which things make such an impression on their day.