Friday, August 1, 2008

Go Potty Go!

Ben woke up at 6:30 drenched in urine. He's had it with diapers. We watched the Go Potty Go video a friend loaned me and we were off and running. He didn't want to wear diapers anymore. He picked out his "Bob The Builder panties" and we went about our day. We played outside without an accident. Don't get me wrong, he didn't go potty in the toilet, but he didn't pee in his "panties" either. We took several potty breaks with no success. By 11am we needed to leave the house to run some errands. I tried to put him in Pull-Ups but he refused. I know, this is a good sign, but it is also a major hassle. "Okay" I said patiently, "Then you will need to go potty before we leave". He sat and sat and sat, nothing. Finally I gave up and we headed out of the house with a ticking time bomb in Bob The Builder panties. I thought to myself, this is a blog post in the making. I pushed the thought out of my head, being hopeful that this is it and my boy will be potty trained by his third birthday, which is Sunday. We went to Half Price Books to find the books Ben and Lauren will be using in their Spanish lessons. We spent an hour and only found one of the seven we needed. I took all three kids in for a bathroom break. Lauren chose the first stall, Jack chose the second and Ben and I headed to the handicapped stall.

Lauren: Mommy, my dress is in the potty!
Ben: Gross!
Me: It's okay baby, I will help you in a minute, just go potty.
Lauren: Mommy, I can't reach the toilet paper!
Jack: I will help you Lauren I am almost done.
Me: Thanks Jack, you are a great big brother!
Jack: Benny, have you peepeed in the potty yet?
Ben: Nope!

Ben finally decided that he didn't have to go so we headed to our next errand. Lauren's dress was wet in the back from the waist down.

We went to the post office.

Then the bank.

Then Home Depot. I decided it had been long enough and we should try to potty again. So, in we went. No luck. We spent at least 30 minutes gathering our purchases and getting through the checkout.

Last stop, Walmart. We had to pick up a few groceries. We stopped at the bathroom as soon as we got there. Lauren peed and dipped her dress in the toilet again. Ben sat on the potty with no results again. We stopped at the McDonalds in the store for Happy Meals for the kids to eat while we shopped. Ben chugged his apple juice in seconds flat. I didn't consider the implications when I got Ben a cup of water to drink with his lunch. It was 2:15 by the time I got through the entire store. I put everything up on the conveyor then heard a frantic "Mommy, I have to go poo poo!" I turned in his direction and before I could say "Okay baby, as soon as we are through the checkout we will go to the bathroom" the woman behind us in line announced to everyone within earshot "Excuse me, your son is having an accident!" I quietly told the checker that my son had an accident. I expected her to get on the intercom and say, "clean up in aisle 3" but no she picks up the intercom and said "Urine clean up, aisle 3". Poor Benny was hiding his little face. I didn't blame him; I wanted to do the same thing. Instead I told him "It's okay, everyone makes mistakes when they are learning to use the potty". Apparently the guy behind the potty narc did not hear the request for a 'urine clean up' because he walked right through it. I saw the potty narc whisper to him and felt the glare of disgust from the unmarried and most likely childless man. If only he had known about Lauren dipping her dress in the public potty...twice. I won’t give up, I have a goal…Sunday is only two days away. Go potty, go potty, go potty go!

1 comment:

Mamarazzi said...

oh these stories just kill me! aren't you glad you blog them? your kids are gonna love these when they get older!!