Tuesday, August 19, 2008

That Mom Anyway

When I took Jack to Kindergarten round up a month or so ago we met all 5 of the teachers. Back when I was in Kindergarten there were only 2 teachers! Each teacher did a presentation about what Kindergarten would be like. One of the teachers really struck me. She was young, outgoing and enthusiastic yet stern. I thought she would be the perfect fit for Jack. The other teachers were nice, but they were all very soft-spoken and a little mousy. It crossed my mind to request Mrs. K, but I didn't want to be that mom so I took my chances. Imagine my excitement when Mrs. K called to say that Jack was in her class!

Mrs. K: I am going to be Jack's teacher and I was calling to set up his assessment.
Me: Oh, I am so thrilled! At Kindergarten Round-Up I thought you would be the best match for Jack, but I didn't want to be "that mom" and request you. I am sure all of the teachers are great, but we are so happy Jack is in your class!
Mrs. K: Well, I am glad you weren't that mom.

I left the conversation feeling like I was that mom anyway. I hope she wasn't trying to make me feel like a total loser, but I am afraid I may have come on too strong. I can only hope that I will redeem myself by being the best classroom helper she has ever had...or does that make me that mom again?

4 comments:

Crystal D said...

Oh I am afraid as hard as I try to to be, I am that mom too. But you know what, so what? How is it so bad to be super enthusiastic for your kids? I mean we just love them so much how can I not be a little crazy? Maybe I'll be better this year (but I doubt it).

Crystal D said...

Oh and that was suppose to be "as hard as I try NOT to be..."

Jaina said...

I'm glad he got into the class you were hoping for. :)

Lisa said...

I will be that Mom....and as long as you are respectful of the teacher, you will "that Mom" that is helpful and appreciated. Sign up for the things that the teacher offers, and if you want to do more, send her an email offering your services - even if it's something you can do at home. You become "that Mom" that's annoying when you're hounding her all of the time and acting like Jack is the only kid in her class - which you won't do.

I've already figured out which teacher I want Julia to have next year, and am trying to figure out how I can make that a reality - oh boy!

When is Jack's first day???