Thursday, August 21, 2008

That Mom Isn't That Bad

Jack and I went to the ice cream social at school today. I signed up for the PTA, to help at the carnival, make copies, fill folders AND be the room mother. I think I am redeeming myself with Jack's teacher, when she asked for a volunteer for the room parent the other adults became astronomers. Most looked at the ceiling searching for stars, while the rest looked at their shoes. I was dying to be the room mother, but I did my best to pause slightly before volunteering. I didn't want to be too overbearing again! Mrs. K got all of my contact information, so it is official. I am not sure what the room mother does, but it sounds important, don't you think?

School starts Monday and Jack is so ready and so excited! I, on the other hand, am not so sure I am ready. I bought Jack book called "Twas The Night Before Kindergarten", I didn't read it before I bought it, I just thought it sounded cute. I read it for the first time with Jack. It talks about how the kids are nervous so the parents stick around for a few minutes. Then the kids get comfortable and they tell their parents Kindergarten is cool and they can go now. The parents walk away crying. I actually teared up as I was reading the book! I just hope Jack didn't notice and I hope he doesn't notice if I get a little misty eyed on Monday!

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Yay for room mother Kelli!

Sending prayers your way for Jack's first day. I got teary this year just thinking about Julia going to school NEXT year....I'm going to be a mess! And I know it's karma biting me in the butt seeing that I just couldn't understand the parents that did that when I taught kindergarten ;)

Crystal D said...

I had so much fun being the homeroom mother for Madeline's pre-k last year. I am hoping to do it again this year for Kindergarten. We have our home visit with her teacher on Monday and I am so excited to talk to her.

Mamarazzi said...

being room mother is SO MUCH FUN!!! you will loooooove it!!