Thursday, March 20, 2008

Grandpa Withdrawl

Lauren is just like me; she is grandpa's girl. Growing up, my grandpa and I had a really close relationship, now I see the same type of relationship developing between Lauren and my dad. We were lucky enough to have my parents here for 6 days. Lauren really got used to waking up and getting hugs from her "grrrr-am-pa". This morning when I got Ben and Lauren up we had the following conversation.

Me: Good morning guys.
Lauren: I am going to need my grrrr-am-pa.
Me: Grandpa is in Omaha.
Lauren: Why?
Me: That is where he lives.
Lauren: I need my grrrr-am-pa.
Me: What do you need?
Lauren: Hugs!
Me: I can give you hugs.
Lauren: I want grrr-am-pa hugs.

While my dad was here he made a special point to sit on the floor with the kids every chance he got. As my mom and I sat around the kitchen table and drank wine my dad started a new game. He sat on the floor with his legs outstretched in a 'V' shape. The kids sat between his legs and pretended they were in a boat. My dad played along and told them to row faster.

Tonight while I was cooking dinner Lauren sat on the kitchen floor with her dolls between her legs and barked, "row faster kids!” She is really missing her grandpa. Me too...and Grammy.

3 comments:

Mamarazzi said...

awww grandpa's are so special!

Unknown said...

awh adorable. melissa said i should come visit you cause she says you are awesome! so wanted to tell ya hi! melissa is one of my favorite buddies.

greetings from kathleen in anchorage alaska :)

Anonymous said...

I totally caught my breath when I saw your pictures of Blue Bonnets!! I so miss Texas!!!! Thanks for stopping by, glad to find a new blog to read also.

PS are you in the Hill Country? I am from Austin.