Friday, March 21, 2008

You've Been Replaced

Travis, consider this your notice, you have been replaced. My sister gave Jack another birthday gift.

I explained to Jack that he could "play catch" with this toy. He throws the ball and the toy will catch it. As soon as he got it, he said "I guess I don't need daddy anymore!” I didn't think anymore of it until Jack brought it up again on the way home.

Jack: Mom, can I use my new catcher in the backyard when I get home?
Me: Sure!
Jack: I can practice my baseball without daddy.
Me: Yep.
Jack: I don't need daddy anymore!
Me: Daddy is still fun to play with, right?
Jack: Yeah, but my new catcher won't be disappointed in me.

I had to cover my mouth so he wouldn't see me giggle. Travis is coaching Jack's T-ball team and last night was the first practice. Travis came home pretty happy with the team, but disappointed in Jack's effort, not his performance. He told me that he told Jack that it doesn't matter if he is the best or the worst, it only matters if he tries hard. Apparently, Travis told the boys to run and Jack did a quick walk as all the other boys passed him. As Travis puts it, he has seen Jack run faster in the house! I think Jack has a new respect for hustle and next practice will be better.

2 comments:

Mamarazzi said...

that is AWESOME!! he will soon learn though, that daddy throws BACK.

i love Travis' attitude about trying. seriously it IS all about the effort...its a good life lesson to learn.

Lisa said...

That made me laugh.....

I'm sure Travis is a great coach though, and Jack will have a great first experience. Soon he'll let Ben & Lauren have his catcher man!