Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Five-teen

I was downstairs scurrying around trying to get ready for the cleaning lady when I over heard yelling from upstairs.

Jack: Babies, get out of my room!
Ben: NO!
Jack: Leave me alone!
Lauren: I want to play.
Jack: I need privacy
Ben: NO!
Jack: I'm telling...

Then, I heard the pitter patter of five year old feet followed by the pitter patter of two sets of smaller feet running down the stairs.

Jack: Mom, I want some alone time in my room and the babies won't get out!
Lauren: Jack won't play with me.
Me: Ben and Lauren, you need to play in your own room so Jack can be alone.
Ben: NO!

I can't believe how grown up Jack is becoming. I am too young to have a kid that wants to be alone! I didn't think that kids start wanting to be alone until they are teenagers.

Yesterday, I was helping Jack put his new birthday toys away in his room. I suggested he give a few of his old things to Ben and Lauren to make room. He got so excited getting rid of all of the "baby things" in his room. I really thought I was going to have to pressure him to let things go. He ended up getting rid of 50% of his old toys, I couldn't believe it. He was so proud of himself for being "generous" and had a great time showing Ben and Lauren how all of their new toys worked.

1 comment:

Mamarazzi said...

alone time. i can sympathize.

the other day i was walking down the hall and noticed Jordan's bedroom door was closed. her door is NEVER closed unless she is getting dressed or sleeping. so i rang her little doorbell (yes a doorbell on a never closed door). she said, "come in" in her sweetest sing song voice. i opened the door to see her laying on her bed looking through a Pottery Barn Teen catalog. i asked, "you ok". she replied, "yes, i was just trying out some privacy, is that ok?" i say, "yes of course, you want this door closed now?" she said, "nah that's ok i am done you can leave it open, please"

phew...i am not ready for closed doors yet.