Thursday, March 13, 2008

Happy Birthday Jack

Wow, I can't believe my baby is five years old today! I still remember his birth like it was yesterday. Good thing because Jack asks me about the day he was born often. He was induced, so Travis and I were able to sleep in and arrive at the hospital around 10am. The hospital was really busy that day so they didn't get around to putting me on the Pitocin until around noon. The nurse suggested that I walk around Labor and Delivery to get things moving. Travis and I did two laps when suddenly I was feeling some contractions. I felt kind of whimpy because I told Travis I was ready to go sit back down. When I went back to the room the nurse checked me and I was already at a 4! I got my epidural and settled in to watch some TV. It was March Madness so we had the basketball games on; we ended up having all of the interns in my room 'helping' so they could watch the game. At 12:30 they broke my water, by 3pm I was at a 10. The nurse suggested I do a couple pushes before she called the doctor just to make sure the doctor didn't arrive too early. I did one push and Jack was crowning. The nurse told me "STOP, STOP". I couldn't figure out why we didn't just get him out until they explained that the doctors don't like it if they are not present for the birth because they don't get paid. Luckily my doctor's office wasn't far from the hospital so she got to my room in just a few minutes. When she arrived I pushed two more times and Jack was born at 3:33pm. This is one time where the saying "no pain, no gain" didn't hold true. I felt two contractions, pushed three times, didn't have a single stitch and ended up with a beautiful baby boy!

Jack has turned into such a great kid! I love that kid through and through. He is so funny that I often have to turn my head and laugh when he does something naughty. He has the best smile and a great twinkle in his eye, just like his daddy. He is so smart, funny, witty, thoughtful, considerate, loving. He is just the best kid in the world and I feel sorry for the rest of you who don't have a kid as great as this! :) I am so lucky to be Jack's mommy!

2 comments:

Mamarazzi said...

AWW Happy Birthday Jack!

this was a lovely post...truly!

Lisa said...

Happy Birthday to Jack!!! How is he five already????