Tuesday, March 4, 2008

My Vote Counted!

Picture it. A long line at the presidential primaries. All three kids in tow. Woman engrossed in her Blackberry in front of me. Man reading a book behind me. The kids are getting restless. They are doing their very best to remain quiet and within a 3 foot radius of me. Out of the blue using his outside voice Jack asks, "Who are we going to vote for again?” "Shh” Nervous laughter from the people in line fill the silence. "I will tell you later" I say just loud enough for Jack to hear. I figured I would have a nice talk about voting etiquette with him in the car, then remind him who I was voting for and why. Just as I thought it had all blown over Jack announces in his outside voice again "Oh, I remember! He has a rock in his name, right mom? What is that guy's name again?" Suddenly Jack had all sorts of friends in line; apparently we weren't the only Obama supporters there! I left the polling place feeling very proud, the kids and I all had on our 'My Vote Counted' stickers. A nice little old lady stopped me to tell me what a good thing I was doing by showing my kids how important it is to vote. Tonight we were listening to the polling results on the radio, when the DJ announced Barack Obama 53%, Hillary Clinton 46% my kids went wild. They were yelling "BaRock Omama!” A few minutes later Jack broke the celebration by asking, "Mom, why don't you like Harry Clinton?" Hmmm, I think I will save that one for Grandpa!

4 comments:

Mamarazzi said...

bwaahahahaha "save that one for Grandpa"

i think it's awesome that you took your kids with you, i agree with random lady...it's great they are learing about the election process early!

Lisa said...

We took the kids to the caucus way back when too - a cool experience that I hope they remember!

Yay for BaRock Omama!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Well, looks like Hillary won by a nose here - good thing they split the delegates! When I took Drew with me to vote, they made me park his stroller with the elections lady - he couldn't go to the booth with me. Did you get to take the kids with you to the booth?

Glad to see you voted for my man Barack! (I'm sure Dad is groaning right now.)

Mom said...

I think Dad would feel a lot worse if you were voting for "Harry"!