Sunday, March 25, 2007

The Princess, The Mayor and The Lucky Boy

I took Lauren to Payless yesterday to buy some generic white sandals to wear with her Easter dress. Travis and the boys were waiting in the car so I was anticipating a quick and easy trip. I went to her size and she immediately gravitated toward these God awful princess sandals. They had Cinderella, and a pink princess and one other princess that I refused to look closely enough at the shoes to identify. There were sparkles and they were just hideous. I quickly explained that we weren't there to get princess shoes; we needed pretty white sandals. She had a melt down, as though she were two. I thought that I had finally gotten her redirected, but she was actually going toward another pair of the same heinous shoes. The melt down started all over again. The only thing that stopped the madness was the friendly shoe salesman with a Dora sticker. Thank God for Dora! I didn't know she was so passionate about princesses and I am not sure if I am ready for that. I don't really care for princesses. I can get behind super heroes, but what do princesses do? Fall in love with the right man? Super heroes save the world! I don't want my daughter to see that as the way to succeed. I played with Barbies when I was young and I turned out okay...but perhaps that is where my body image problems come from??

This morning I volunteered in the church nursery. Jack came with me to go to Sunday School, but the babies and Travis took the week off. Jack thought he was the mayor as we went inside. He was stopping everyone saying "Good Morning". It just made all of the old people's day. It was nice to have people look at me like I was a good mom instead of the 'don't you know about birth control?' attitude I have been getting lately. He was just on top of the world having a date with mom. We used to do that once a month; I would have friends watch the babies so Jack and I could do something special. I need to start doing that again...it is obvious that he misses it.

Here is an excerpt of a conversation I had with Jack today:

Jack: Why don't I have a sister?
Me: You do have a sister.
Jack: Where is she?
Me: At home.
Jack: What's her name?
Me: Lauren.
Jack: No, that is Ben's sister.
Me: She is your sister too.
Jack: No, she isn't.
Me: Yes, she is. Ben is your brother and Lauren is your sister.
Jack: No, Ben is Lauren's brother and Lauren is Ben's sister.
Me: And Ben is your brother and Lauren is your sister.
Jack: No, who is the sister I was born with.
Me: OH...Ben and Lauren are twins; you were born all by yourself.
Jack: Why aren't there two of me?
Me: I don't know
Jack: Ben is sure a lucky boy!

Jack and Travis helped me plant 144 Zinnias around the trees after church today. Jack got to skip his nap so he could help. I am not sure that was a good idea...he is now cheering on Ben and Lauren in WWF baby smack down...I guess I better go intervene.

No comments: