Thursday, March 22, 2007

I thought this was a Christian MOPS group

This is an email I just received and it has provoked me to post for the third time in one day. I haven't mentioned this before, but I am the coordinator of the MOPS group that meets at my church. This email was sent in response to an email that another member sent out regarding the Eightfold Path & Four Noble Truths. If I were to lump the general premise of this email into a particular religion, I would call it Buddhist. But, why must it be lumped into a particular religion? Why can't it just be interesting reading? If you aren't interested in reading it, don't. I am answering this woman in my blog because as the coordinator, I don't have the guts to ruffle feathers and answer her directly. Instead, I am a total chicken and I am letting this go.

Yes, MOPS is a Christian organization. But, as Christians part of our job is not to judge. While we focus on the faults of another, we don't have to look at our own imperfections. Looking at where another falls short, we can rationalize our faults away, thinking we're not so bad after all. The only problem is that looking at another person as "worse" than we are just adds another mistake to our already long list. We should take another look at ourselves and then decide to let God do the justifying. He's better at it. God wants us to be intelligent people, which is why he gave us brains, if he didn't want us to think we would just have heads full of mush. But, you don't have to judge to think...am I rambling?

This email came from a girl that just today sent an email out advertising a benefit art auction this weekend. This would normally be a non issue, but I (as well as the rest of the steering team) have been busting my hump preparing for our first annual benefit art exhibition and auction to be held in 5 weeks. So, the bitchy, judgmental part of me says if you can send that advertisement email, the other member can send an email to help us broaden our horizons...free speech.

No comments: