Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Birthday Hangover

I think the babies and I are suffering from a birthday hangover. Ben was up at 4am this morning. After listening to him cry for a solid 15 minutes I gave in and went upstairs to check it out. I pulled him out of the crib, which gave Lauren the idea that it was morning and she stood up expecting to be picked up too. After discovering that Ben was okay I put him down and left as both babies cried a chorus of 'mom sucks'. I went back to bed and covered my head with my pillow wishing that we could all fall back to sleep. We all eventually fell back to sleep, but Ben was crying again at 5am. I again listened for about 15 minutes when I received the nudge and "do you hear him" grunt from Trav. I then actually heard Ben utter the word 'milk' and I was once again roused from my comfy bed. I want to encourage these mute babies to use words, so if Benny says milk, Benny gets milk. I took two sippy cups of milk upstairs which bought me another couple of hours of sleep. I should have known they were hungry, they both refused the pizza at the birthday party and neither was very interested in the chicken fingers at Abuelo's last night.

I have a headache that just won't quit. I am sure it is from lack of sleep, but it doesn't help that the batteries in the smoke alarm are going dead. I am not sure how to change them, so I am sentenced to a day of listening to that annoying chirping sound. When I was growing up I swore that I wouldn't be as helpless as my mother, but somehow I have become just as dependent on Travis as my mother is on my father.

As I type this, I had a sneezing fit (spring in TX!), Jack came downstairs and told me that I sound sick so he came down to take care of me. What a sweet kid! Everyone told me 4 years old is great...do I have a whole year of this to look forward to? I better not get my hopes up!

No comments: