Monday, March 19, 2007

Let's Eat!

When we were at the doctor last week he asked how Jack is eating. I explained that he rarely eats dinner because I will only give him what we are eating, which usually consists of some sort of chicken or pork dish, rice or potatoes and a veggie. But, for lunch he eats like he will never eat again...come to think of it, he eats like he won't be getting any dinner! The doctor asked me what kind of foods he likes for lunch, I told him he will eat pizza, chicken nuggets, fish sticks, mac & cheese, if it is fatty with little to zero nutritional value Jack will eat it. The doctor told me of the importance of Jack eating more healthy food. Lucky for me, he didn't ask about the Cookie Crisp or Chocolate Lucky Charms he eats for breakfast. Needless to say, I have been shamed into only feeding my kid junk once per week. The problem is that I can't figure out how to make him eat the healthy food. I am a good example; I eat healthy 95% of the time. I have fruit or veggies with every meal. Where did I go wrong? I have been attempting to bribe Jack with a biscuit at dinnertime. If he eats all of his protein and veggies he can have the biscuit. Last night Jack noticed that Ben and Lauren get their biscuit with the rest of their meal and called me out. So we made a deal, if he promised to eat all of the food on his plate (8 small bites of chicken, 2 pieces of cauliflower and a tablespoon of rice) he could have his biscuit whenever he wanted it. He screamed out "DEAL" as if he were on a game show! The provisions of the contract were as follows: there would be no further discussion, he cannot get up until the food is gone. I thought my problems were solved. He would eat his dinner, Travis wouldn't get upset and I would eat a meal in peace for the first time in a year! I am so tired of Travis counting and threatening while we eat I could scream! Well, I was wrong. I am a big enough person to admit it. After eating his biscuit Jack said, "excuse me mom, I would like to change the deal". After a 5-minute conversation about breach of contract, I summed it up by exclaiming "NO DEAL!” We started dinner at 6pm; at 8:30pm Jack was still at the dinner table. He was aloud to get up twice for potty breaks, but that was it! When I took his plate so he could go to bed, the cauliflower was still there, but at least he had eaten the chicken and rice. I don't get it; both pieces of cauliflower would fit in one bite, just pop them in your mouth with a milk chaser. So, on to plan C...I figure since he will be only eating healthy meals for breakfast and lunch he will eventually get hungry enough to eat something I present to him, right? I just have to keep telling myself that I am in charge here!!

No comments: