Sunday, March 18, 2007

My Son Is Going To Be a Polygamist

Jack had two birthday parties today. At the first party one of the mothers told me that her daughter, Hattie, said her and Jack were going to get married. Hattie asked her mother if they were going to live at her house or at Jack's. It is so funny how kids minds work. When we got to the car to go to the next party, I asked Jack about marrying Hattie and he told me that he had changed his mind and was going to marry Ann, but Elsie was going to be his mommy. I said, but I will always be your mommy. Jack at this point was a little exasperated and told me that I will be his mom, but Elsie will have his babies. I am not sure how Elsie's parents will feel about this...they are good friends; I hope that won't ruin our friendship! Jack has a lot of friends, but it seems like his closest friends are girls, all of which want to marry him. When Jack plays with more than one girl at a time the girls are always fighting over who gets to marry Jack. I hope the poor kid isn't peaking in preschool!

Jack has a friend who lives across the street that is 12, Amy. She comes over to play 4 or 5 times a week after school. She is obviously a little socially inept since she chooses to play with a 4 year old rather than kids her own age. Jack thinks she is the coolest. She annoys the hell out of me! I can't put my finger on exactly what it is that bothers me. Her mother asks me if it is okay if she comes over, but I don't know how to say she comes over too often. A friend of a friend of mine says that if a child has an opposite sex friend that is more than 5 years older something is up. I make sure that they don't play with the door closed, I can't image that this girl would do anything like that, but at the same time, I can't get that out of my head.
Lauren is becoming more and more motherly. She has loved playing with her dolls for a couple months now. It is funny how one minute she it totally nurturing and the next minute she is literally throwing the dolls into the stroller. I will admit it seems more efficient than carefully strapping them in like I do for her and her brother. Lately, when Ben cries she attempts to calm him by loudly shushing him and patting him on the head. The unfortunate thing is that she usually makes him cry harder because her patting resembles hitting. What a sweet little mommy.

No comments: