Tuesday, March 27, 2007

21 Days Without Complaining - Day One

I was enjoying my pretzel snack (Jack coined that term) and watching Oprah this afternoon while all of the kids napped...ahhh! Oprah challenged her make-up artist to quit complaining for 21 days. Which made me think...can I do that? I can certainly try! For the next 21 days I will not complain. Rev. Will Bowen of Christ Church Unity in Kansas City, MO was teaching a series on prosperity. Part of this series was helping the congregation to form a habit of gratitude by going 21-days without complaining. In an effort to make the lesson practical, the church purchased purple bracelets and gave them away encouraging them to move the bracelet to the other arm if they caught themselves complaining. You can get your own bracelet from their website www.acomplaintfreeworld.org. I have ordered them for each member of my family. I guess the babies will reach the 21 days first since they can't talk. Does crying count as complaining? I think so...come to think of it, they will never make it! This may make my blog kind of boring. Is it complaining if I am just stating facts about naughty things my kids have done or how Kroger tried to screw me? I know I have been complaining about the MOPS drama. That has done nothing for me, so I am done!! I looked it up on the website and the definition is as follows: "How do I know if I'm complaining? To "Complain" is defined as "to express pain, grief, or discontent." Surely, it makes sense to express pain, grief or discontent occasionally but most people do so constantly. In so doing, they are talking and thinking about what they do not want in their life and, thereby, attracting more pain, grief and discontent. Instead, think and talk about what you are grateful for. Talk about what you DO want and not what you DON'T want." Wish me luck! :)

No comments: