Tuesday, June 17, 2008

He's Coming Around...

I really want to get Ben potty trained before our trip to Nebraska. Not because I am looking forward to a 12 hour drive with newly potty-trained twins. Not because I like to clean up accidents in a car seat. But, because I am anticipating a run in with my grandmother-in-law. She is extremely old school and feels like it is her right to share her opinion with you because she is in her nineties. Travis told me that since I know she is going to say something I shouldn't let it bother me, I should just say "crazy old lady!" and move on. I might be able to say that if she just says something to me, but that is not her way. She feels like she can make up for my parenting deficiencies by trying to parent my children her way. That doesn't fly with me. I am getting hot and bothered just thinking about it and she hasn't even done anything...yet.

Ben and Lauren will be 3-years-old in August and only Lauren is trained. Ben hasn't shown any interest in potty training. I have asked him at least every other day if he would like to wear underpants with no luck. Today Ben used the last diaper. I picked up my friend's Elmo's Potty Time video. We popped it in and sat down together to watch the video. I was anticipating a 10-minute video, after all how much is there to say about using the potty? 45 minutes later even the kids were bored! When the movie was over I gave Ben the choice of wearing Pull-Ups or underpants. He settled on a pair of Bob The Builder underpants, which is a major breakthrough. He didn't want to sit on the potty. After about 15 minutes in underwear I told him it was time to sit on the potty. He freaked. He cried and convulsed with fear. The only way I could calm him down was to hug him while he was on the toilet. I was kneeled around the throne in a puking position. He didn't go. I let him get up. About 15 minutes later I decided to give it another go. I learned from my mistakes. I let him have a sucker while he sat on the potty. It helped him calm down, but it didn't help him pee. I reluctantly let him get up and tried to encourage him to wear a Pull-Up for his nap without success. He went to bed in his Bob The Builder underpants. I knew this was trouble, but what do you do? My banker was coming by so I could sign some documents for the property business during naptime so I could concentrate on the task at hand. 19 seconds before she knocked on the door Ben wet the bed. Actually he wet the floor. Luckily, he was being naughty and wasn't lying in bed like she was suppose to so I didn't have to change his sheets. But I was in the process of pulling off the wet Bob The Builder underpants when my banker arrived. So much for scheduling our appointment during naptime! Ben was not upset about his underwear or the floor getting wet, but he was horribly traumatized about the potty on his legs! He wore a Pull-Up for the rest of his nap. It was wet when he woke up. He is wearing a new pair of Bob The Builder underwear now. He has sat on the potty several more times with much more confidence, but still has not made a deposit. Wish us luck!

3 comments:

Mamarazzi said...

lots and lots of good luck!

trial and error i suppose. poor you!

i do agree with your honey though, "crazy old lady" is exactly what you need to say. think, write it down...it will make you feel better! maybe good luck on that too..

unsolicited parenting advice is the worst!

Lisa said...

Tell the crazy old lady it's a different world these days. You shouldn't have to kill yourself to get Ben trained.....poor Kelli!!!

Jaina said...

Best of luck! At least you have him sort of attempting, that's progress!