Wednesday, April 2, 2008

New Math

I don't consider myself a mathematician, but I am certainly not math challenged. Today I ran to the local Sports Authority to purchase bases for baseball practice tomorrow. I clipped a $25 off $100 purchase out of the paper on Sunday so I thought I would treat myself to a new pair of shoes since I was spending money anyway. I went in and immediately found my $10 bases. I then found a great pair of Nikes for $40. I needed to spend another $50 to get my $25 off so I found a new sports bra for $32 and a tank top for $20. I arrived at the counter with Ben and Lauren trying to rip each other's hair out. The cashier took my coupon and told me my total was $101. Hmmm...I didn't watch her ring up my items because I was attempting to soothe the savage beasts, so I didn't know what she had done wrong. When I got the receipt I realized my shoes had rung up for $60, not $40. The way Sports Authority handles the $25 coupon is to take a portion of the $25 off each item based on the percentage of the sale. So, to make a long story short the receipt showed the shoes at $47.39. When I pointed out the error to the cashier she called the shoe department and discovered the shoes were miss marked. No problem, they will give them to me for $40. She then tells me that she is going to put $8 back on my card. "What? You over charged me on the shoes by $20 and you are giving me $8 back?" "No, I only charged you $47.39 for the shoes" "Yes, but it was $47.39 after my coupon, I guess you are going to have to return everything including my coupon and try again". At this point the manager gets involved to tell me how stupid I am. My kids are now in the midst of WWF smack down. I asked the manager for a piece of paper and a pen. He obliged, just waiting to prove me wrong. So, I wrote down.
$10 bases
$40 shoes
$20 tank top
$32 bra
Equals $102
Minus $25
Equals $77
Plus tax
This asshole manager looked at teenage cashier and teenage shoe manager and says, "See how much money you just cost me?” Then started to walk away. I couldn't just let that go. As far as I am concerned, it is his store and he should by watching what is going on. I waited until I got my $20 bucks back then told the manager "Look at it this way, I came in for $10 bases and spent $80, I think you are still ahead".

2 comments:

Mamarazzi said...

i LOVE that you said something! you are seriously MY HERO!! i cannot tell you how many times i KNOW that i have been overcharged, don't say anything, go home, do the math to make 100% sure i was right and STILL don't go back to get it fixed. yep i am a loser like that.

Mom said...

I remember how embarrassed you got when I did something like this. And, I did it quite often. Guess we are put on earth to embarrass our kids!