Friday, April 4, 2008

Texas

I love Texas. I love the people. I love the southern drawl. I love the weather, even when it gets really hot. I love the bluebonnets. I love our house. I love our neighborhood. I love how there is always something to do. I love this place. However, there is one thing I hate! I have acquired the worst allergies since we have moved here. I wake up every spring morning with a nose full of snot. I am now draining at night, which causes me to cough like a pack a day smoker all night even though I take nearly twice the recommended dose of cough medicine. And now, I have lost my voice. I am not just raspy, but a little squeaky too. It is making me crazy! I love to talk. Wednesday we went to a friend’s birthday party at a bar and I couldn't talk loud enough for anyone to hear me. I haven't been able to call my realtor or my banker to check on our latest rental purchase. And worst of all, the kids can't hear me. They whisper back to me as though they think we are telling secrets just because I can't talk loud. When I need to get their attention I can't raise my voice, I have been reduced to clapping my hands. People joke that they like me better this way because I am usually talking their ear off. Just wait, they might like it now, but as soon as I get my voice back I am going to have a lot to say!!

5 comments:

Crystal D said...

That stinks!! I can't imagine what I would do with my kids if I lost my voice. I think I would get a whistle. LOL
I hope you feel better soon. My allergies are always terrible in the spring and fall when things are blooming or dying.

Anonymous said...

I think this is a very common occurrence in Texans. The great thing is when the allergies run their course and you live an entire spring without them!!

Mamarazzi said...

ok you are going to think i am NUTS so i am sending a link to prove its not MY idea but it DID work for me.

have you ever used a nose bidet or a neti pot? i use to have MAJOR allergies that would litterally knock me on my butt for month THEN my Dr. told me about "washing my nose" say what? yea really. it was weird at first but now it is something i do EVERY night before i go to bed and i no longer suffer from snot nose pain!

OH and it was also on Oprah, incase that helps me further prove my case...DR OZ approves and recommends a neti pot! lol

You. Are. Welcome.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/526605/the_benefits_of_using_a_neti_pot_oprah.html

Lisa said...

I remember when I was teaching & would loose my voice the kids would usually be really good. It was like they had to be extra quiet just to hear me. Here's wishing you the same luck!

BTW - my allergies are going nutso up here too....

Anonymous said...

And you used to think it humorous when your favorite dad lost his voice.