Friday, April 25, 2008

The Bigger Mom

I have been going to the gym pretty regularly for the last couple of months. During that time I have met some of the other 'regulars' and make small talk with them before and after various classes and while we are picking up our kids from childcare. There has been this one mom that I have noticed in almost every class I am in, but she never says hello. She has a friend that goes to most of the classes with her; I have met her and talk to her several times a week. But the skinny girl with the barrette always seems too good to make eye contact with me. This is not the kind of meat market gym I went to in high school...well, maybe it is but it isn't a meat market in the classes or around the cardio machines...you don't need to avoid eye contact for fear someone will get the wrong idea. I am another mom, not a lesbian looking for a good time! So anyway, being the catty bitches my friends and I are we have been discussing what must be wrong with her to not want to be friendly to us!

The other day I was walking out of the gym with Ben and Lauren (Jack was at school) and I saw skinny barrette girl holding her baby talking to a tow truck driver. I decided to be the bigger mom.

Me: You don't know me (because you have been too good for me up until this point, but I left that out) but I see you in several classes. Do you guys need a ride some where, I have an extra car seat?"
SBG: No, I locked my baby in the car. I am Amanda, what is your name?
Me: (oh, you are one of us!) You must have been freaking out! I'm Kelli, nice to meet you.
SBG: That was really sweet of you to offer! I think I have missed the cycle class by now, are you going?
Me: (yes, it was sweet of me, I am the bigger mom...) No, I am not going I have a bunch of errands to do (but I am never too busy to help a fellow mom in need, remember I am the bigger mom) so I just did cardio so I could get on my way.

It felt good to do the right thing. She actually is a nice girl. She must just be shy. I feel a little bad talking about her, but I think I have redeemed myself. The moral of this story, treat people the way you would want to be treated and eventually they will realize how excellent you really are!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you!! I always try to tell myself, too, that maybe that standoffish girl is shy or whatever. But it's really really hard to take that first step. You're so brave, and I'm glad it worked out well!

Lisa said...

I always try to be the nicer, bigger person (and seeing as I never make it to the gym, I do a good job at being the "bigger" person!), but sometimes when people are so, so snotty it's difficult! Good for you for being sweet :)

Anonymous said...

thats how you pay it forward!! Now she will know next time to be friendly and maybe extend the helping hand.

Mamarazzi said...

Kelli you totally rock!!

i use to be that seriously shy girl that everyone always thought was a snob. now i am the girl who you better not make eye contact with or i will assume you want to be my friend and will totally chat you up (my husband said i am like a puppy in that respect). because soeone was nice enough to tell me they thought i was a snob and, well i care too much about what other people think...so i snapped outta my shy thing (apparently i am still pathetic).

i am glad you gave the girl a chance to redeem herself.

being the bigger mom is a good thing!

Jaina said...

Good job being the bigger person! And who knows, maybe you've made a new friend. :)