Tuesday, November 27, 2007

I'm Back

I started writing a post on Thanksgiving Day about what I am thankful for, then my sister-in-law woke up and we starting chatting and the post didn't get finished. I am now kind of done with thinking about what I am thankful for. I was going to put something about how I am thankful for my husband, he is swell, but I don't really have time to put it into words right now. Here is the beginning of my Thanksgiving post:

1. I am incredibly thankful to the nice police officer that I accidentally passed on the way to the doctor yesterday.

Me: Shit!
Jack: What's wrong mom?
Me: Well, we are going to get a speeding ticket.
Jack: Why?
Me: We were going to fast.
Officer: Can I get your license and proof of insurance?
Me: (handing over my stuff) Hi, how's it going?
Officer: Good thank you. Do you know why you were stopped this afternoon?
Me: Yes, we were hurrying because we are late for a doctor appointment.
Officer: Do you know what the speed limit here is?
Me: 65
Officer: Do you know how fast you were going?
Me: Probably about 75
Officer: I clocked you going 87, that is too fast to be going with 3 little kids in the car.
Me: You are absolutely correct, sorry.
Officer: (handing back my stuff without running anything) Okay, well slow down and have a great weekend.
That's right, I didn't get a ticket for going 87 in a 65. So, here's to you officer, THANKS!

2. I am thankful for the way Jack can make me laugh everyday!

Jack: What is that inflatable in Mr. Paul's yard?
Me: (breaking into song) Tom, Tom Turkey, Tom, Tom, Turkey, Run Away, Run Away, Thanksgiving Day is coming...
Jack: (interrupting) Tom Turkey does not wear a hat and does not have a beard. That chicken is wearing a top hat and has a red beard!
Me: I don't think that is a beard; I think that is his gobbler.
Jack: What's a gobbler?
Me: I have no idea! You should ask daddy.

3. I am thankful to Travis' previous employer for transferring us to Texas. I love it here, I only wish my parents lived here too!


So anyway, I'm back. We had a great visit with Travis' sister and brother-in-law. It was really nice to hang out with them without the rest of the in-laws. Don't get me wrong, the other in-laws are fine, but I never feel like I can be myself. This was the first time we have actually hung out with them without the MIL or GIL (grandmother-in-law) and it was really fun! They left on Saturday morning and I have been frantically putting up Christmas decorations ever since. Today is the day the cleaning lady comes so I was hoping to have everything up so she could clean up all of the faux pine needles that always end up strewn about the house. Unfortunately, it didn't happen. I am done with everything but putting the lights on the big Christmas tree. At least it is just one room that I will need to re-vacuum!

I am concerned that I am permanently harming poor Lauren. She is going to end up being one of those hermits that live in a filthy hovel. For some reason she is afraid of all things clean. She hates the noise of the vacuum cleaner, but most of all she hates rushing and strange people. She doesn't know the cleaning ladies and they come into the house like a whirlwind; some go upstairs, some head to the kitchen while the remainder start in the bathroom. As soon as they arrive I have to load the kids up and leave so Lauren isn't set into a tailspin. Today when they arrived I was replacing a string of lights on our front stairs that had already gone out, so I quickly finished that project up before heading out. When I was ready to go I couldn't find Lauren. I looked everywhere; it was so strange because she is usually right under foot when the maid arrives. I finally found her curled up in the fetal position on her bed with her little fingers in her ears. Poor baby!