Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Got Twins?

When I was pregnant with Ben and Lauren I went to a couple meetings of the metro area twins club. I was new in town and looking to meet similar minded people. The first meeting I went to everyone introduced themselves by saying their name and the names of their twins, they didn't mention the names of any 'singletons' if they had them, which I found very odd. It seemed as though their entire identity was their twins. I will never forget the crazed woman who stood up and proudly announced her identical twin girls were named Savannah and Hannah. I wasn't sure whether to laugh or cry for those poor girls! As time went on I realized that most of the women I met were obsessed with the fact that they had twins and nothing else seemed to matter. They actually had T-shirts made that said 'Got Twins?’ a play off the 'Got Milk?' campaign. Are my bones going to deteriorate if I don't have twins? What happens if I don't have a twin mustache? I only had Jack at the time and I had trouble (and still do) understanding how their singletons were second-class citizens. They got together and commiserated about the problems their twins had. I would come home from the meetings and tell Travis about the squirrels I was meeting but it wasn't until I came home in tears that he told me I couldn't go back. It seemed like the women who were members of the club went for support because their premature kids had a bunch of problems. Night after night I would hear about feeding tubes, learning problems and physical disabilities. The unknown was killing me and I decided that I wouldn't return until the babies were born and then would only return if I 'needed' support. I found when Ben and Lauren were born that I needed support, but it wasn't anything that my lowly friends with singletons couldn't give me, so I never went back.

Now, however I am wishing I could reach out to someone with twins and ask a question or two. Perhaps one of my bloggy friends knows someone with twins and can answer my question? Ben and Lauren are 27 months old and share a room. We have always known that we would put them in separate rooms when they "got older" because they are not the same gender, but when is the proper time. This morning while I was trying to steal a few more minutes of precious sleep I heard Ben yell "Hi Lolo!” From what I have gathered that is loosely translated from English to twin speak as; Hey, Lauren it looks like mom cleaned this room again yesterday, we need to wake up and put it back to the way we like it. You clean the books off the shelf and I will throw all of the hangers on the floor of the closet. When we are done with that let's get back together and pile all of the toys in the middle of the room. If mom doesn't get her ass out of bed by then let's work on dumping the toy baskets out and pulling the clothes out of our drawers. Jack never trashed his room like that. He would sit in his bed and cry waiting for his mommy in shining armor to come to the rescue. Do Ben and Lauren trash the place because they have someone to do it with or do they do it just because they are different kids? Would this problem be solved if we put them in their own rooms or would I just have two trashed rooms then? Would Lauren get to sleep longer because Ben couldn't wake her up and vice versa? When is the perfect time to separate? Anyone, anyone...Bueller?

4 comments:

SWC said...

I think I may actually know someone you could talk to. She's a doula and was my childbirth instructor. She has twins - a boy and a girl. I will contact her with your info and maybe she will get in touch.

Kellan said...

Hey I have twins - 2 girls named Savannah and Hannah. No, just kidding!!! But, do have twins, age 15 now. I always kept my girls in the same room - even now they share a room (space issues more than anything). If you have the space, it would probably make it easier to have them in separate rooms - sleep and all. But, I don't think it would stop any messes - nope. If they are determined to make a mess - they are going to make a mess - right? Good luck with your two - they are a joy. I'm Kellan, nice to meet you.

Lisa said...

Oh my! I think we may have gone to the same twin's group. Considering my twins were both 8+ at birth, I couldn't relate to the preemie stuff. Lots of squirrels at those meetings. I banned myself. I always left feeling way too....NORMAL.

As for the sleeping issue, my twins (Zach and Mia) are sharing a room and they'll be 5 in March. We separated them when they were two (put my older son with Zach), but Mia was having a hard time sleeping through the night. We finally realized she was lonely and scared without her brother. My oldest son (Jamie) said he'd love to have his own room, so we put the twins in the bunk beds. About 6 months ago, they decided they'd like to take turns sleeping in Jamie's room on a pull-out mattress pad. It's worked out quite well. Some nights both Zach and Mia will sleep on the pull-out together--in which case all three kids are in one room. They all get along really well. Big brother doesn't seem to mind. I'm sure that'll change eventually. I also think that Mia will eventually desire her own feminine space :) Until then, everyone's happy (and sleeping soundly through the night). That's my gauge of effectiveness. I'm not at all worried that they "need" their own rooms just because they're of the opposite sex. Eventually it may present an issue. Right now, it's not on our radar of things to worry about.

Good luck!! Lisa

SWC said...

Birth junkie is my birth instructor, Lisa. She is awesome, isn't she! Glad she stopped in to offer you some words of advice!