Sunday, December 16, 2007

You Might Be A Redneck...

As I was having my nails done this afternoon this is the conversation I overheard:

Ms. Redneck: Do you go to China for Christmas"
Nail Tech: No
Ms. Redneck: Do you do any Chinese traditions at Christmas?
Nail Tech: No, I am from Vietnam.
Ms. Redneck: Oh, you must really like sushi!
Nail Tech: ummm...

I love the people in Texas, everyone is genuinely nice, but we do seem to have a larger percentage of rednecks. If you are ignorant, do us all a favor and just shut your pie hole!

Travis has a friend he used to work with that has a teenage son. The son met his girlfriend's parents for the first time last week. Shortly after the meeting Travis' friend received a call from the girlfriend's mom, she did not want the kids to see each other anymore because he is black. What? Are you kidding me? Is this 1960? He is a good kid, intelligent and preppy, what's not to like? Who cares? Will there always be rednecks like this or are we become a more civilized country?

3 comments:

Mamarazzi said...

wow...i am glad i live in California...its what they call a "melting pot" but a melting pot sounds like we all end up being ONE gooey culture. i don't like that idea, i love the things we can bring to each others lives by having different ethnic make ups... i tend to think of it more like a "tossed salad"...lemme explain...a tomato is still a tomato even if it is thrown into a salad, same with the cucumbers, croutons, and the lettuce...i love living in a tossed salad. i grew up in this wonderfully rich multiculteral area and i feel kind of bad for people who aren't soaking up this kind of goodness....and ummm for rednecks and people who cannot see BEYOND a persons ethnicity.

hmmm it seems you have caused me to think a few thinks right here on your loverly blog. thanks for letting me do it out loud!

suchsimplepleasures said...

unfortunately, even as technology, medicine and everything else, progresses...we are still going to have hatred and ignorance. that will NEVER seem to go away! for whatever reason, minorities have so much prejudices going against them. being jewish, i've encountered it...and, let me tell you...it's not fun! and...you just gave me an idea for my post tomorrow!
take care!

SWC said...

Isn't it amazing that people are still like this? I have an Indian friend that I work with who grew up here in the US. She is an American. One of our clients asked her how she was able to drop her accent so well. Um, what?